Looking for an exciting opportunity to make an impact as a Lead Patch Engineer?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) has an exciting Lead Patch Engineer position located in Blacksburg, VA with opportunities to work remotely. The Lead Patch Engineer will be responsible for overseeing a team of patch engineers providing Cloud infrastructure patching support to our DoD customer.
Our new Lead Patch Engineer will be responsible for supporting day-to-day operations of a 1901 Group program for Cloud infrastructure services providing patch related support to meet the DOD compliance and other corporate patch governance requirements. The Lead Patch Engineer will require deep analytical thinking based on research results to assess software patches, registry updates and configuration changes to be applied to varied infrastructure. The Lead Patch Engineer will provide assessment including security, system, and business impact. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of the security implications of a patch although not a security SME. The Lead Patch Engineer will serve as the lead for the 1901 Group infrastructure patching team.
• Develop and optimize pre- and post- patching process to ensure proper implementation without any outages.
• Direct and coach a team of Patch Engineers to ensure successful project completion
• Coordinate patch schedule with other teams such as patch team, infrastructure management, security operations, governance & risk. Communicate project and operational metrics.
• Create deployment patch package using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Red Hat YUM and AWS Systems Manager Patch Manager.
• Lead in developing action plans, schedules, budgets, status and metrics reports as well as other management communications intended to improve the patch management program
• Analyze and foresee the side effects of the patch and be able to quantify the risks business impact, and opportunities (for better security) when the patch is applied.
• Work with product vendors to come up with suitable patch recommendations without compromising systems.
• Research, evaluate, develop, design and implement patch remediation designs and standards following industry and DOD best practices
● Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience in IT infrastructure support, patching, and team leadership, additional years of experience will be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
● Certifications: DoD 8570 IAT Level II baseline certification (CCNA Security, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, CND, SSCP)
● Experience with current Patching tools such as, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Red Hat YUM and AWS Systems Manager Patch Manager
● In-depth understanding of various operating systems, network/system infrastructure, networking protocols/services and enterprise architectural design, to come up with patching recommendations to remediate any vulnerabilities in the DOD IT environment and resolve issues, including but not limited to Storage, Network, Security and computing servers and devices.
● Ability to work with and lead a small team of Patch Engineers
● Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills with the ability to de-construct problems
● Excellent analysis skills and ability to identify patterns and trends in data
● Familiar with AWS cloud environments and services
● Develop and implement patch and vulnerability remediation process including package creation, testing and deployment.
● US Citizen
● DoD Secret clearance is required prior to start (Interim Secret clearance is acceptable)
● A solid understanding of industry best practices for Patch Management; specific demonstrated experience mapping business processes and comparing those processes to industry and DOD best practices
● Must have excellent competency with large environments running over 1000 servers and varied patching tools
● Proficiency in scripting of packaged installation of patches, software, and configuration changes, including power shell automation to improve patch management processes
• Excellent understanding of networks, systems, and application security with knowledge of various vulnerability scanning solutions, scripting and automation
● Familiar with AWS cloud environments, architecture, and services
● Excellent written and verbal communication; must be able to communicate technical solutions to senior management
● AWS Cloud Practitioner or Associate level certification desired
Who Are We?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT as-a Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.