Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Database Manager to join our research team in providing actionable, data driven results to inform the transition to a carbon neutral energy future through novel materials science research and infrastructure management.
The position will be a hybrid of on site and remote research and development support for NETL at one of its three research sites: Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This work will involve participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists as part of a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations for efficient and resilient energy systems to environmental stewardship of energy resources, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support the transition to a carbon-neutral energy future, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled people at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
Aspiring candidates should demonstrate:
- Experience building and curating databases and associated metadata to provide quick and reliable access to large amounts of data gathered by multiple people across multiple projects, including carbon storage and other surface/subsurface energy infrastructure data.
- Experience with data conversion, formatting and cleanup from various sources and data types including geospatial, “messy”, and “real world” data from engineered and environmental systems.
- Expertise with Python and SQL (including libraries such as Scikit-Learn, Pandas, SciPy, SQLAlchemy).
Come join the Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), where you’ll be able to work side by side conducting research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research; discover, integrate, and mature technology solutions to enhance the nation’s energy foundation and protect the environment for future generations. You will contribute to the development of patents, written reports, journal articles, and contribute to presentations on findings, highlights, and innovative solutions in DOE-sanctioned meetings, scientific conferences, and national committees. Explore the Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) here - https://netl.doe.gov/.
- Organize and curate multiple data sources across multiple teams for analytical applications.
- Understand and respond to the needs of the team to develop the best data management and data access strategies.
- Develop, evaluate, and adapt database deployment to existing online platforms (e.g. Energy Data eXchange®), including working with software development and geospatial research team.
- Develop and modify automated data collection workflows across multiple projects and disciplines.
- Research and develop data collection and extraction methodologies for online data resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, or related field.
- 4+ years working in a team environment to create the best data management strategies.
- Ability to work flexibly across a range of research domains to organize and curate multiple data sources to align with diverse end use goals (e.g. risk assessment to inform decision making, anonymized catalogues for public access).
- Demonstrated expertise with Python and SQL to adapt existing and develop novel data management platforms and tools.
- Experience developing, evaluating, and adapting strategies for database deployment to existing platforms (e.g. Energy Data eXchange®).
- Experience with data conversion, formatting and cleanup from various sources and data types including geospatial data.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software/applications (e.g., ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, QGIS, ArcGIS API for Python) and related database formats (e.g., Geodatabase, PostgreSQL/PostGIS, SQLite).
- Interest and ability to learn and work with geospatial and materials science domain knowledge and concepts.
- Master’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, or related field.
- 5+ years working in a team environment to create novel data management strategies, including demonstrated leadership over developing and deploying data management strategies.
- Experience with geospatial or materials science domain knowledge.
Program Specific Salary Range: $85K to $100K
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.