Leidos has an immediate need for a Splunk Engineer SME on a highly-visible and strategic new Cybersecurity Task Order. The Splunk Engineer SME will install and maintain Splunk infrastructure, gather requirements from customers, onboard data, and assist end users with searches, dashboards, reports, and knowledge objects. The Splunk Engineer SME may be required to interact with senior management, as necessary.
- Conceptualize, design, build, and maintain current and future customer-supported tools and platforms
- Manage multiple assignments, changing priorities, and work independently with little oversight
- Develop data storage, access, and retention strategies for a large IT enterprise using industry standards and best practices to advise Customer executive-level stakeholders
- Design, build, implement, and administer Splunk infrastructure in on-prem and cloud environments.
- Create, manage, and support automation solutions for Splunk deployment and orchestration in on-prem and cloud environments
- Work with existing and custom Splunk applications and add-ons to fulfill customer needs
- Provide overall engineering and design support for a distributed Splunk environment consisting of heavy forwarders, indexers, and search head servers, spanning security, performance, and operational roles
- Onboard data to Splunk via forwarder, scripted inputs, TCP/UDP, and modular inputs from various sources
- Normalize data to ensure CIM compliance, and develop data models to accelerate queries, dashboards, and correlation searches
- Work closely with all relevant stakeholders to solve technical problems at the network, system, and application levels
- Conduct periodic architectural reviews of Splunk and related systems to assess effectiveness and propose optimal installation alternatives as required
- Develop and manage comprehensive documentation, artifacts, procedures, and processes for the optimal management of the Splunk infrastructure
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field and a minimum of twelve (12) years of experience in system administration, database administration, network engineering, software engineering, or software development, with a concentration in Cybersecurity
- Twelve (12) years of experience with Linux and Windows system administration or an expert understanding of operating systems and common operating environments
- Ten (10) years of experience with Splunk in distributed deployments
- Current Splunk Enterprise Certified Architect certification
- Excellent written and oral skills, ability to work closely with multiple customers, manage expectations, and track engagement scope
- Experience implementing FISMA, NIST, NSA, and other information security, cybersecurity and CDM-related industry policies, procedures, guidelines, standards, and best practices
- Expert-level knowledge and ability with Splunk Enterprise Security or integration with other Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) platforms
- Extensive experience with advanced configuration of Splunk including Indexer Clustering and Search Head Clustering
- Proficient at data on-boarding activities including routing, parsing, and normalizing events to the Splunk Common Information Model (CIM)
- Proficiency onboarding data using Splunk-developed add-ons for Windows, Linux, and common third-party devices and applications
- Experience onboarding data into Splunk via forwarder, scripted inputs, TCP/UDP, and modular inputs from a variety of sources
- Proficiency managing Splunk using the Splunk command-line interface
- Proficiency managing Splunk using configuration files
- Experience collaborating with separate engineering teams to configure data sources for Splunk integration
- Intermediate understanding of SQL and common SQL dialects
- Proficiency implementing and onboarding data in Splunk DB Connect
- Experience with Splunk performing systems administration, including performing installation, configuration, monitoring system performance and availability, upgrades, and troubleshooting
- General networking and security troubleshooting (firewalls, routing, NAT, etc.)
- Splunk architecture/design, implementation, and troubleshooting experience
- Experience in managing, maintaining, and administering multi-site indexer cluster
- Proficiency developing log ingestion and aggregation strategies per Splunk best practices
- Perform integration activities to configure, connect, and pull data with 3rd party software APIs
- Experience implementing and optimizing Splunk data models
- Proficient in regular expressions
- Scripting and development skills (Bash, Python, or PowerShell)
- Ability to autonomously prioritize and successfully deliver across a portfolio of projects
- Department of Homeland Security ESOC employees are required to obtain an Entry on Duty (EOD) clearance to support this program
- At least one of the following certifications:
- CompTIA: CASP
- SANS: GCIH, GCWN, GISF, GISP, GSSP, GICSP, GSSP
- Carnegie Mellon: SEI
- ISC2: CCSP, CISSP, CSSLP, SSCP
- Cisco: CCNP, CCNP Security, CCIE Security
- EC_Council: CEH, ECSP
- Microsoft: MCSE (Server), Azure Administrator Associate, Cybersecurity Architect Expert, Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- Red Hat: RHCA, RHCE
- VMware: VCA, VCP, VCAP, VCIX, VCDX
- NetApps: CIS, CIES, CDAP, CSA
- Splunk: Enterprise Certified Architect
- Experience working among different Cloud Provider environments (Azure, AWS, GCP), particularly for a federal government customer
- Experience with GitLab or GitHub or other version-control system
- Experience with Ansible tower and/or writing Ansible playbooks
- Four (4) years of experience with distributed systems development using REST APIs
- Four (4) years of experience with database development using ODBC, JDBC, or other database APIs
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.