The Leidos Innovations Center operates at the leading edge of technology by designing, demonstrating, and deploying solutions to solve complex remote sensing problems for our Department of Defense customers. We are currently seeking a Signal Processing Engineer in our San Diego, CA office to join a leading-edge research and engineering group.
In this position you will work within an interdisciplinary team on the development of novel signal processing algorithms directed at solving challenging remote sensing problems important to the nation and world. You will begin with a fresh perspective and a passion for developing a deep, first-principles understanding of the given problem.
You are not content with heuristic solutions. You instead seek optimal solutions. Consequently, you will cast the problem within an appropriate optimization framework. Then, leveraging your strong foundation in numerical methods, you will devise efficient algorithmic solutions. An empiricist and skeptic at heart, you will look to data to test and scrutinize the performance of your ideas. This may lead you to define data collection experiments to answer specific questions regarding algorithm performance. As new insights are gleaned, you will adapt your algorithms accordingly. Once you have convinced yourself and the greater research community of the validity of your solution, you will turn your attention to its efficient implementation. You recognize the interplay between algorithms and the computer architectures (CPU, GPU, FPGA, SoC, hybrid,) on which they are hosted. You will at times modify the algorithms accordingly to be more efficient given the constraints, while at other times you will work with hardware experts on defining improved architectures.
These are some of the interesting things you will be doing:
- Apply first-principles physical understanding of remote sensing problems
- Develop novel signal-processing algorithmic solutions
- Devise efficient software implementations
- Conduct data scientific analysis of algorithm performance
- Present findings to a research community of scientists, engineers, and management
- Function as liaison with hardware designers and system architects
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team (AI / ML Researchers, Physicists, Mathematicians, Electrical Engineers, Computer Scientists, and Systems Engineers)
What's in it for you?
- A challenging, fast-paced work environment to solve critically important, real-world problems with unique data
- Flexible work schedule to maintain work-life balance
- Opportunities to enhance your skills in GPU programming, C programming, adaptive signal processing, various sensor modalities, artificial intelligence, and machine learning
- Professional and technical development opportunities through mentoring programs and full tuition coverage for masters and PhD programs
- A research-oriented environment with a small business feel created by an accessible organizational structure
To be successful in this job you will need these skills:
- BS degree in a scientific field such as math, physics, computer science, data science, or engineering with 4+ years of prior relevant experience, Masters with 2+ years of prior relevant experience or Doctoral degree if less than 2 years of prior experience
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
- Very strong math background (Fourier Transform, Linear Algebra, Complex Numbers)
- Ease with high-level coding languages such as Matlab
- Experience with C or Fortran
- Ease with Linux systems
- Experience working and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams
- Required on-site full-time work in San Diego, CA
You will really impress us if you have these skills and/or interests:
- Spectral Estimation
- Detection Theory
- Experience with CUDA
- Expertise in C
- Interest in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Active clearance
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.