The Leidos Innovations Center operates at the leading edge of technology by designing, demonstrating, and deploying solutions to solve complex remote sensing problems for our Department of Defense customers. We are currently seeking a Senior Signal Processing Engineer in our San Diego, CA office to join a leading-edge research and engineering group.
In this position you will work within an interdisciplinary team on the development of novel signal processing algorithms directed at solving challenging remote sensing problems important to the nation and world. You bring to the table a deep understanding of sensor phenomenology and physical processes. Despite your considerable experience, you have an eternal curiosity and creative spark. You look beyond heuristic algorithms and seek optimality.
You are well-versed in the algorithmic approaches for maximally enhancing signal while minimizing interference and noise. With these qualities, you will invent new algorithms and sensor attributes. You will personally develop, or guide the development of, efficient C implementations of your algorithms. An empiricist and skeptic at heart, you will look to data to test and challenge your assumptions. This may lead you to define new experiments to answer specific questions regarding your algorithms and sensor innovations. As new insights are gleaned, you will adapt accordingly. Once you have convinced yourself and the greater research community of the validity of your approaches, you will turn your attention towards their operational implementation. You understand the interplay between algorithms and the computer architectures on which they are hosted, including limitations based on SWaP. You know how to tailor solutions to given computer architectures (CPU, GPU, FPGA, SoC, hybrid, etc); alternatively, you can leverage your understanding to motivate alternative architectures. Conquering these challenges requires a multi-disciplinary team. You will collaborate closely with other subject-matter experts, physicists, mathematicians, electrical engineers, software engineers, and systems engineers. You will interact with customers and present research findings on a regular basis. We hire people with an intellectual curiosity and passion about science, technology, engineering, and math and who want to take that passion and turn it into reality. If you are hired, you will be part of a team that does just that.
These are some of the interesting things you will be doing:
- Apply first-principles physical understanding of remote sensing problems
- Develop novel signal-processing algorithmic and sensor solutions
- Devise efficient software implementations
- Conduct data scientific analysis of algorithm performance
- Present findings to a research community of scientists, engineers, and management
- Function as liaison with hardware designers and system architects
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team (AI / ML Researchers, Physicists, Mathematicians, Electrical Engineers, Computer Scientists, and Systems Engineers)
- Provide thought leadership
- Lead technical project teams
What’s in it for you?
- A challenging, fast-paced work environment to solve critically important, real-world problems with unique data
- Flexible work schedule to maintain work-life balance
- Opportunities to enhance your skills in sensor modalities, system architectures, GPU programming, C programming, adaptive signal processing, artificial intelligence, and machine learning
- Opportunities to lead technical teams
- Professional and technical development opportunities through mentoring programs and full tuition coverage for masters and PhD programs
- A research-oriented environment with a small business feel created by an accessible organizational structure
To be successful in this job you will need these skills:
- BS degree in a scientific field such as math, physics, computer science, data science, or engineering with 12+years of prior relevant experience, Masters with 10+ years of prior relevant experience or Doctoral degree if less than 10 years of prior experience.
- Must have an active US Government Top Secret security clearance
- Exceptionally strong math background
- Experience working and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams,
- Experience leading technical teams and mentoring less experienced engineers
- Ease with high-level coding languages such as Matlab
- Experience with C or Fortan
- Ease with Linux systems
- Required on-site full-time work in San Diego, CA
You will really impress us if you have these skills and/or interests:
- Adaptive Beam Forming
- Pulse coding
- Spectral estimation
- Detection theory
- Experience with limited SWaP
- Experience with CUDA
- Expertise in C
- Expertise in MATLAB or Python
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.