Leidos has an opening for a Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)/Human Factors Engineer at NASA Johnson Space Center. This position will support the Human Factors and System Management team, which supports the Habitability and Human Factors Branch at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. This team provides research, analysis, evaluation and usability testing of hardware and software crew interfaces for cockpits, habitats, spacesuits, and equipment. This includes computer displays and controls, workstation systems, and other types of crew interfaces.
This position is primarily for support to the Orion Program. Orion activities consist of providing human factors expertise to the design and development of the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV) human-to-system interfaces, including requirements development, task analysis, low- and mid-fidelity prototyping, and iterative crew evaluations. The focus for this position is on Human Computer Interfaces, specifically review of display prototypes against display requirements, scenario development towards usability verifications, and display related human-in-the-loop testing. The candidate will also provide non-Orion Human-Computer Interface support to applied development projects as needed.
- Provide human systems expertise and support to the design and development of MPCV Human-Computer Interfaces.•
- Conduct display Human-in-the-Loop (HITL) testing by developing test plans, coordinating with facilities and mockup personnel, collaborating with subject matter experts, conducting the data collection and analysis, and delivering presentations to management.
- Providing verification planning and execution for usability, workload, errors rates, etc.
- Supporting Orion technical reviews such Preliminary Design Reviews (PDR) and Critical Design Review (CDR).
- Provide human factors technical support to the Orion Project Office, including attending Cockpit Working Group meetings and responding to actions.
- Provide human factors consulting services, to include design, prototyping, surveys/interviews, heuristic evaluation, tool assessments, and usability testing of human-computer interfaces.
- Interface with design engineers to establish system design, operating, and training requirements and to ensure optimized human-machine interfaces.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in human-computer interaction, human factors, cognitive psychology, or closely related technical discipline and at least 6 months' relevant internship and/or research experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective communication between external groups as well as report writing.
- Familiarity with industry standards (e.g., MIL-STD-1472, NASA-STD-3001), and advanced technologies (e.g., eye trackers, physiological measures, mixed reality interfaces) is a plus. The candidate should possess the ability to effectively interact with customers at all levels.
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust security clearance; U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status is required due to length of investigation for non-U.S. Persons.
Pay Range:Pay Range $50,700.00 - $78,000.00 - $105,300.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.