Leidos has an opening for an energetic, motivated, and self-starting scientific programmer in the High-Fidelity Simulation business area to support the development of synthetic training systems and tactical decision aids systems.
The candidate will implement interface code to acoustic models and databases used in Tactical Signature Guidance (TSG) systems, including sonar tactical decision aids (TDAs) across multiple code baselines. The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to understand and troubleshoot complex software systems plus a willingness to learn new programming languages.
This individual will be responsible for understanding, managing, and integrating acoustic models and databases into state-of-the-art training and tactical decision aid systems for the United States Navy by being able to:
- Develop and/or integrate acoustic models and databases into US Navy systems
- Write unit tests to verify and validate acoustic models and databases updates
- Troubleshoot issues with acoustic models and databases as identified by stakeholders
- Act as a bridge between external model and database developers and the HFS team
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in Mathematics, Physics, Acoustics, or a related field
- Approximately eight years of experience in oceanographic or acoustic numerical model development, implementation, and/or data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new skills and programming languages
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, change gears quickly, and support emergency requests.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills.
- Must have IAT I or higher certification; or willingness to obtain certification upon being hired.
- Experience in one of the following:
- Geographic information systems
- Databases (SQL or NoSQL) develop and/or design
- Signal and/or image processing
- Big data using cloud computing
- Knowledge of data analysis frameworks (e.g., Tensor Flow, Orange, Jupyter Notebooks, pandas, or Weka).
- Understanding of statistical analysis.
- Understanding of physics, fluid mechanics.
- Able to analyze and troubleshoot existing code and database contents/schemas.
- Experience developing in a Linux environment.
- Experience developing with multiple programming and scripting languages (e.g., C/C++, Java, XML, Bash, Python, MATLAB/Octave, Scala, R).
- Experience using version control systems (e.g., git, Mercurial, Subversion).
- Experience in developing concurrent applications or using parallel computing architectures (e.g., Open MP, MPI).
- Experience with Agile methodologies and tools (e.g. Atlassian Jira suite).
- Incorporate new tools and processes to fulfill development requirements.
- Demonstrate a general commitment to excellence, a dedication to producing quality software products.
- Able to work successfully in a team environment of 40+ personnel.
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.