Leidos has an opening for an Environmental Scientist in Cape Canaveral, Florida. The Environmental Scientist will conduct field work on a weekly basis at NASA KSC. The Environmental Scientist is responsible for project management and oversight of various field sampling and report deliverables performed by the Environmental Sampling, Analysis and Monitoring (ESAM) Section as part of the Environmental Services Program at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) with limited support to the United States Space Force (USSF) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station (CCSFS) and Patrick Space Force Base (PSFB) under the NASA Environmental and Medical Contract (NEMCON). This position ensures KSC and USSF are in compliance with specific Federal, State, NASA, or Space Force regulations as well as program or contractual requirements to preserve the environment and ultimately the health and safety of persons at KSC and CCSFS/PSFB.
Must be able to pass a Public Trust background investigation; U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status is required due to length of investigation for non-U.S. Persons.
- Manage projects and provide oversight of sampling activities and reporting requirements associated with environmental permits including but not limited to, solid waste, industrial wastewater, stormwater, and potable water.
- Manage projects and provide oversight of sampling activities in support of the waste characterization process which helps determine the transportation and disposal requirements for waste generated by tenant organizations and construction contractors at KSC. Typical waste characterization samples collected are drummed waste (both liquids and solids), sandblast media, oil from electrical equipment, paint sampling from construction waste debris, and wastewater samples.
- Provide support to the NEMCON Spill Team Lead related to post-emergency spill response activities. Collaborate on strategy for spill response approach, plan and direct the execution of confirmation sampling, coordinate with NASA Remediation personnel, and author spill response reports for review and approval by the Environmental Operations Manager. This position will serve as the alternate Spill Team Lead.
- Ensures the proper collection of field samples and field data including preparation for transport to environmental laboratories for analytical testing, including review and approval of chain-of-custody documentation.
- Reviews environmental analytical reports to validate data for use in technical reports and deliverables to the NASA and USSF and contractor community.
- Authors and reviews complex technical reports and regulatory deliverables that provides guidance to the NASA and USSF customer to remain in compliance with regulatory requirements. This includes the preparation of supplementary data tables, figures and maps.
- Manage the ESAM calibration and maintenance program which includes a variety of electronic and mechanical field sampling equipment such as dissolved oxygen meters, turbidity meters, pH meters, conductivity meters, chlorine meters, FID/PIDs, and portable well sampling pumps to ensure proper operation; including ordering of equipment and supplies when needed.
- Supports the management of subcontract environmental laboratories providing analytical services to ESAM which includes the review and validation of invoices for analytical services and periodic site visits to in-state laboratories to ensure facilities and operations are in compliance with requirements.
- Performs or assists with any departmental operations, as required or directed to maintain workflow which includes preparing procedures and internal operating instructions, including job safety analyses, in order to establish guidelines for meeting general environmental compliance objectives as it relates to programmatic activities
- Performs a range of administrative duties required to fulfill program or contractual requirements related to a designated area of specialty, including record keeping, inventory and supply requisitioning, database entry, vehicle upkeep and similar duties as assigned.
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition and ensures safe operating conditions within area of responsibility. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, geology, chemistry, biology, or related scientific discipline with eight years of directly related work experience.
- Active 40-Hour HAZWOPER Certification preferred or the ability to obtain certification within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations/rules related to environmental compliance sampling and reporting activities associated with environmental permits including but not limited to, solid waste, industrial wastewater, stormwater, and potable water.
- Knowledge Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for field sampling activities which includes the understanding of the usage and operation of various types of standard environmental field equipment and instrumentation.
- Technical writing skills including the ability to create detailed reports, data tables and spreadsheets under the direct supervision of a Professional Geologist or Engineer.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data collected by field instrumentation and laboratory analytical reports in order to provide recommendations to project stakeholders.
- Experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) software to produce maps depicting sampling locations, groundwater elevations and other relative information related to field activities.
- Mathematical skills and the ability to read, analyze and understand written information including regulations, and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, where the information being communicated includes precise data and terminology, possibly of a confidential nature. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs especially Word and Excel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (i.e. Word, Excel, etc.) and general knowledge of GIS software.
- Possess valid driver’s license and be eligible for clearance at a Federal Facility.
- Successfully pass an occupational health physical to obtain and maintain qualifications and certifications required to perform this work.
- Must possess excellent organization skills and the ability thrive in a team atmosphere including the ability to effectively communicate and work with all levels of employees.
- Demands of work assignments may require periodic physical exertion such as walking on uneven terrain, stooping, and possibly lifting up to 25lbs, sometimes while wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as respirators outdoors in all weather conditions and sometimes for an extended period of time.
Pay Range:Pay Range $60,450.00 - $93,000.00 - $125,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.