Leidos is seeking a Systems Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the development of an air traffic control and management system that alleviates congestion in the En Route and Terminal airspaces. Nationwide congestion is increasing, and the need for efficient aircraft traffic planning is critical. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Time-Based Flow Management (TBFM) program is the decision support tool that will provide NextGen Air Traffic Control capabilities to improve air traffic operations in the National Airspace System (NAS).
The TBFM program is an FAA NextGen program that uses sophisticated algorithms to derive schedules and other tools for aircraft to meet at En Route and Terminal constraint satisfaction points (CSPs) in order to balance capacity and demand, resulting in more efficient use of airspace and enabling aircraft to reduce fuel burn.
TBFM functions include:
• Deriving schedules at En Route and Terminal airspace CSPs and Runways
• Providing the capability to schedule into Departure Meter Points (DMPs) and other CSPs from the Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) or Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT)
• Deriving tools to be used in both the En Route and Terminal domain to help controllers meet schedules derived at CSPs, including speed advisories for aircraft and other visual indicators
• Sharing information with external systems via the FAA’s System-Wide Information Management (SWIM) interface
• Tools and schedules developed by TBFM will enhance efficiency for controllers, airlines and pilots in the NAS
Systems Engineer responsibilities:
Working both as a member of a team and independently the successful candidate will be:
• Implementing cutting edge technology and algorithms to increase NAS efficiency.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving schedules generated for flights at various points throughout the NAS.
• Developing A-Level System/Subsystem Specification (SSS) requirements, B-Level Software Requirements Specification (SRS), Systems Engineering Modeling and Design, and Computer Human Interface design and mock-up development for the TBFM system
• Interfacing with the FAA customer to address/answer questions relating to the developed requirements, use cases describing human interactions and design decisions
• Performing Systems Engineering as needed for the TBFM system
• Providing support needed for software development, integration and test, and other functional areas
• Articulating user needs and requirements from high level user stories
• Developing the design for the user interface framework including client and server side components; analyzing and designing databases within an application
• Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
• Requires Bachelors of Science and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2+ years of prior relevant experience or equivalent experience.
• Systems Engineering experience, including proven experience working in complex projects gathering user requirements and converting them into system requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience:
- working directly with customers to discuss their requirements and objectives
- interfacing with other functional areas (e.g., Software, Hardware)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Technical leadership experience with strong organization and time management
• Proven experience with supporting highly critical customer missions
• Prior experience in a technical leadership role that requires significant coordination across multiple functional areas
• Familiarity with the National Air Space and FAA NextGen Air Traffic control programs
• Experience with IBM Doors
• Familiarity with SysML and System Engineering modeling and design approach
• Familiarity with the Atlassian Tool Suite and JIRA
• Experience supporting Requirements Reviews with customer
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.