We are seeking Airborne Sensor Operators to execute remote sensing data collection missions for the US Army on the Buckeye program. Operators may be required to install and operate GPS, communication equipment, and various airborne LiDAR and electro-optical sensors at CONUS and OCONUS locations. Standard deployment rotations are 2-3 months. The Operator will work only while in a training status or on a deployment rotation supporting CONUS or OCONUS collection missions. All other times they will be on leave without pay (LWOP). Training will be conducted in Northern Virginia but relocation is not required for this position.
- Operate and maintain airborne LiDAR and Electro-Optical sensors on the ground and in flight, in support of customer requirements
- Participate in ground and flight operations efforts as needed, including mission planning, execution, briefing, debriefing, communications, and safety.
- Understand the collection of tactical and wide area mapping
- Ensure proper collection of data for accuracy and quality
- Troubleshoot issues with hardware, software, and collection equipment
- Understand and communicate the capabilities and limitations of the sensor and system
- Provide weekly sensor degradation logs and sensor health reports
- Manage the in-flight FalconView software
- Work closely with pilots and processing teams to plan and execute missions
- Complete necessary field logs and data transfer duties
- Assist with data processing as needed
- Ensure safe and secure use of company and government equipment and instrumentation
- Comply with all governing regulations and work in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
- Bachelor's degree and 1-2 years’ sensor operating experience (6 add'l years of directly relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree)
- Active Secret security clearance
- Willing to fly in a small aircraft for an extended time
- Willing to work in Hardship and Hazardous locations for two to three months continuously.
- Have or be able to obtain a FAA Class II medical certificate or military equivalent.
- Have or be able to successfully complete altitude chamber / physiological training.
- Meet Program training and DoD medical examination requirements for deployment, including meeting CONUS Replacement Center (CRC) requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter who works well with small teams as well as individually
- Ability to travel 50% of the time
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs (installation and removal of sensors from aircraft)
- Formal training as a sensor operator as well as familiarity with ISR applications, tools, and systems
- Experience operating Leica ALS80, Optech Galaxy, Vexel Ultramap, and/or Phase one airborne sensors.
- Comfortable working on computer hardware and basic networking skills.
- Field Service Representative (FSR) experience
- Familiarity with radio communications
- Background working with military customers
- Background working with GPS receiver and antennas
- Understanding of projections and geoids
- Understanding of GIS
- Understanding of sensor calibration procedures
- Current FAA Class II Certification
Pay Range:Pay Range $52,650.00 - $81,000.00 - $109,350.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.