Chase your aspirations with no boundaries at Leidos! Accelerate your career growth by joining Leidos.
Leidos has an opening for a Senior Quantitative Epidemiologist / Modeler to support the Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response (ASPR) within HHS in Washington DC. Be part of a small team with outsized impact! The successful applicant will work closely with CDC’s newly-established Center for Forecasting and Outbreak Analytics on developing the nation’s next-generation disease forecasting capabilities.
Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team conducting a broad range of quantitative analyses, including:
- Develop new forecasting techniques for infectious diseases
- Continue development of existing open-source agent-based modeling software
- Work with senior decision makers to translate policy questions into analyses
- Work with development team to ensure that proper tools are available to support analyses
- Perform healthcare cost-benefit and economic impact analyses
- Perform data exploration on novel datasets
- Construct visualization of large and complex data
- Perform epidemiological analyses of infectious diseases
- Assist clinical trial development with statistical analyses
You will work as part of a team on large-scale analyses as well as independently investigate problems. Many of these efforts have been recognized as being difficult to solve and require the sophistication, creativity, and judgment of an established and competent scientist. The position will require significant interaction with cross-functional teams of subject matter experts in non-quantitative fields, so communication skills are key to understanding the analysis needs as well as for briefing the methodology and outcomes.
Telecommuting – Up to 100%. Preference for those local to Washington DC and able to take part in occasional on-site events.
- Working with customer to understand the decision points and refine a question into a task that can be answered with a model and the available data
- Developing in and extending an agent-based framework to support infectious disease and other response activities
- Performing ad-hoc analyses on existing data
- Performing the entire lifecycle of analysis: problem formulation, data acquisition, data cleaning, analysis, and presentation
- MS in relevant discipline with 6+ years relevant experience OR PhD in relevant discipline with 4+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in mathematics, probability and statistics, data science
- Experience with scientific or mathematical software or programming; particularly R or other scripting language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, or Mathematica)
- Experience developing software in an object-oriented programming language (Java programming is considered a strong plus)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to successfully interact with supervisors, functional peer groups, and/or outside customers
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
- Subject matter knowledge of quantitative infectious disease epidemiology, COVID-19 / avian/pandemic influenza, and/or related sciences
- Experience working with a data-science team, including knowledge of best practices of code management and working with large-scale data
- Prior experience with Knowledge Data Analytics, quantitative algorithms for prediction and Machine Learning/AI Knowledge of statistics, disease transmission modeling, systems dynamics modeling, Data analytics, Bioinformatics, Health economics and/or economic modeling
Pay Range:Pay Range $94,250.00 - $145,000.00 - $195,750.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.