Leidos Maritime Systems Division has an opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer, The employee will be based at San Diego, at the Point Loma Naval Base, supporting systems development at Naval Information Warfare Center, Pacific. There will be approximately 10% travel required, this position does not offer teleworking. Position requires a Secret security clearance.
Mechanical engineering support is sought for system design, prototyping, and testing for radiation detection systems. Design tasks include carbon fiber housings, pressure vessels, and mounting brackets. The candidate will design both on-land and in-water systems. The candidate will interact with radiation scientists, electrical engineers, and other staff routinely on each project to garner requirements. The candidate is expected to refine a design through iterative test cycles. The candidate is expected to document and present system designs using commonly accepted practices in NIWC Pac. The candidate must be able to perform routine design and test tasks independently without supervision.
- Experience in CAD software such as Solid Edge or Solid Works is required.
- System design, prototyping, and testing for radiation detection systems.
- Design tasks include carbon fiber housings, pressure vessels, and mounting brackets.
- Ability to design both on-land and in-water systems.
- Ability to interact with radiation scientists, electrical engineers, and other staff routinely on each project to garner requirements.
- Ability/ interest is expected to refine a design through iterative test cycles.
- Ability to document and present system designs using commonly accepted practices in NIWC Pac.
- Perform routine design and test tasks independently without supervision.
- Experience in CAD software
- Effective communications skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance
- Requires BS degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
The employee must:
- Have a broad technical curiosity, with a demonstrated ability to learn new subjects and skills quickly and effectively,
- Be able to effectively interact with, articulate opinions, and receive feedback from other technical team members,
- Be well-organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with good interpersonal skills,
- Have excellent technical writing and communication skills,
- Have strong computer skills,
- Have experience reading, interpreting, and understanding engineering drawings and schematics,
- Be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Knowledge of shock, vibration, and thermal stress and protection techniques
- Experience in parts fabrication techniques (machining, 3D printing)
- Experience in manufacturing and system installation
- Knowledge of radiation detection systems
- Knowledge of radiation detection system test and evaluation
Pay Range:Pay Range $60,450.00 - $93,000.00 - $125,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.