The Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions Portfolio is seeking a Transportation Research Analyst to operate out of the the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and access management. This position will support work in the rapidly advancing fields of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA), Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X), and Automated Vehicle (AV) technologies.
The Transportation Research Analyst will support research projects for U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) Administrations such as the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), and the Volpe Center, as well as the National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) and other non-Federal customers.
The candidate will be responsible for assisting more senior staff and/or performing functional duties under the oversight of more senior staff. He or she will support the development of technical proposals to win new work, transportation implementation plans, and technical documents for local, state, and/or national government initiatives that aim to influence and change behavior of the general public and/or professionals (i.e., transportation engineers, state and local officials, planning and policy professionals).The candidate will perform work that is varied and may include transportation-related contract preparation, research, data collection, and reporting activities. The successful candidate will be an “up and comer” natural leader with ambition, vision, and a passion for saving lives and improving traffic operations through data and technology.
Transportation Research Analyst responsibilities:
• Conducting research on various transportation engineering projects, including but not limited to safe systems, complete streets, and shared mobility topics.
• Support Leidos as it continues to develop and enhance Vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) and vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication hardware and standards, autonomous/driverless vehicles, traffic operations, and intelligent transportation systems.
• Interpret and analyze structured and unstructured data gathered from CAV testing and present findings to software team in an organized and clear manner.
• Apply data mining techniques and algorithms on CAV data.
• Perform software development as needed for the intelligent transportation systems programs
• Coordinate Solutions with Systems Engineering
• Developing guidance, training, and outreach materials focusing on various aspects of transportation, to targeting technical audience, practitioners, and various stakeholders.
• Developing document, reports, manuals, presentations to communicate project results, both orally and in writing, in a way that is understandable and usable by the target audience(s) for the projects
• Identifying follow-on research and seeking funding, participating in growth strategy sessions, and communicating with current and potential customers on upcoming opportunities
• Developing, supporting, and reviewing technical proposals.
• Author white papers, proposals, and briefings demonstrating technical thought leadership in response to Leidos leadership or customer needs.
• Requires Bachelors Science degree (transportation engineering, systems engineering, computer science, or any closely related field) and a minimum of 2+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
• Experience in the following areas in the broad area of Intelligent Transportation Systems with focus on Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV), Traffic Signal Systems and Optimized Control Strategies, Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO), shared mobility, and active transportation.
• Experience in project management.
• Experience leading the development of technical proposals.
• Experience in writing white papers, RFI responses, and proposals.
• Experience in writing technical peer-reviewed research papers.
• Experience and expertise in applying advanced data analytics for transportation operation and safety
• Passion for transportation safety, operations, and technology
• Demonstrated Data and Software Development Skills/Capabilities
• Excellent Verbal and Communication Skills
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems
• Experience in evaluation and testing of advanced transportation technologies
• Proven ability to juggle multiple projects and project deliverables concurrently, prioritize workflow, and communicate progress
• Expertise in all standard Microsoft Office tools and programs.
• Candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
• Interest in solution development, and business growth/ownership related to this field.
• Experience working in an applied research/development/testing environment.
• Ability to think analytically and apply general concepts to other applicable topics.
• Ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
• Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
• Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and reprioritizing activities.
• Willingness to seek constant improvement through self-identified opportunities and peer feedback.
• Knowledge of the industry and existing related research.
• Experience working with software development teams.
• Experience developing cost models, basis of estimates (BOEs), and Bill of Materials (BOM).
Pay Range:Pay Range $52,650.00 - $81,000.00 - $109,350.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.