Are you excited about disruptive technologies in transportation? Do you want to work on a dynamic team focused on helping customers and partners develop and deploy groundbreaking digital infrastructure and automated vehicle tech? If you are ready to craft creative stories, generate strategy, leverage data, and reap the benefits of growing with us, read on.
Leidos is hiring a Mid-Level Communications Specialist in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in communicating the latest automated vehicle technology. This position will assist in the execution of the overall communications strategy and implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications campaigns and materials. The successful candidate will have the ability to grasp highly technical material and translate it into compelling content for a variety of media and audiences.
The Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL) team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle (CAV) technologies for the FHWA.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Content Generation and Management
• Develop and execute communications and outreach campaigns that leverage print, digital, and multimedia solutions. This includes creating and editing compelling content for websites, videos, presentations, fact sheets, social media, general and technical media publications, newsletters, and other associated media and materials.
• Collaborate and coordinate with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs as needed to facilitate the logistics and publication of various communications materials.
• Review, edit, and develop concise summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
• Data Analysis and Reporting
• Apply data-driven marketing best practices, using data analysis and business analytics expertise to make strategic decisions and recommendations.
• Track, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of communications, outreach, marketing, and stakeholder engagement activities to inform future campaign strategies and investments.
• Event Support and Client Servicing
• Support testing event filming and photo activities. This includes local and out-of-state travel as needed.
• Lead and facilitate meetings and workshops in a variety of formats, including in-person and web-based.
• Support development of events to publicize Office of Operations Research & Development (R&D) activities.
• Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
• Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of professional experience in marketing and communications, or a Master’s degree with 2+ years of professional experience in marketing and communications.
• Ability to travel for conferences and filming, locally and out of state
• Strong understanding of branding and integrated marketing best practices to implement a cohesive vision across several projects.
• Demonstrated experience with writing and content development for a variety of communications media, platforms, and publications.
• Experience with the planning and execution of in-person and virtual events.
• Experience with metrics development, tracking, visualization, and reporting.
• Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
• Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple communications and outreach projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud software.
• Experience operating professional video and photo equipment, conducting photoshoots, and editing media.
• Familiar with web conferencing tools and platforms.
• Experience with technical writing and following different communication style guides.
• Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
• Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
• Intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects
Pay Range:Pay Range $52,650.00 - $81,000.00 - $109,350.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.