Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Materials Scientist to join our team in Albany, OR. The position will allow for a hybrid of onsite and remote (~20%) research and development support for the NETL R&D facility in Albany, OR. This work will involve a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team, participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems, to advancing technologies that produce, transport, and utilize hydrogen and other fuels, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled women and men at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States. We are seeking a Materials Scientist interested in joining a distributed, multidisciplinary team working on the cutting edge of ceramic matrix composite (CMC), thermal/environmental barrier coatings (TBC/EBC), and refractory ceramics research. The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with conducting research on processing-microstructure-property-performance relationships on ceramic materials. A practical knowledge of characterization techniques is required.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Responsible for meeting task requirements of NETL and LRST research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Responsible for providing R&D technical support for the NETL Structural Materials team.
- Responsible for materials characterization of microstructures and phases utilizing equipment like XRD, TEM, SEM, etc.
- Responsible for operation of high-temperature environmental confocal scanning laser microscopy system.
- Active participation in group meetings of the Structural Materials Division, as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- Ph.D. from an accredited university in Engineering, Science, Technology, and Mathematics (STEM) with 1+ years experience.
- Must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, and materials science.
- Strong background in material science and engineering.
- Strong background in physical metallurgy is required for this position.
- Demonstrated background to relate process parameters and thermodynamics to resulting microstructures and properties.
- A solid background and expertise in materials characterization utilizing equipment like SEM, TEM, XRD, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills as well as the ability to represent NETL effectively at conferences and publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to obtain and maintain access to NETL site
- Preference for experience in a national laboratory environment or industrial R&D lab where safe working practices are paramount.
- The candidate should have postgraduate research and development experience in laboratory operations
- Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications.
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions.
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
Program Specific Salary Range: $85K to $105K
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.