Leidos is currently soliciting experienced and highly qualified Swahili+ French Linguist. This position will require an active TS/SCI with Polygraph Security Clearance in order to be considered for this position. The candidate must have strong verbal and written communications skills and be able to coordinate effectively with various offices and agencies in the US Intelligence Community. Individuals must have excellent operational judgment and be able to respond quickly to high priority data with minimal supervision.
The linguist will perform a full range of activities in processing materials or participating in situations requiring a general professional capability as follows:
- Can accurately translate reports/texts in electronic and hard-copy formats that not only contain facts but also some abstract language showing an ability to capture intended implications and many nuances.
- Can generally capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text. Word choice and expression generally adhere to target language (TL) norms and means of expression specific to subject field (s) and are strong enough to allow translator to operate successively in that field.
- Able to interpret accurately. Normally consecutive interpretation is needed, but on rare occasions simultaneous interpretation may be requested
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects.
- Reviews audio or internet materials, transcribes with high degree of accuracy and expression.
- Must possess excellent English-language written communication skills for preparing reports.
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects.
- Is able to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts.
- Can triage documentation to isolate pertinent and nuanced info.
- Master use of reference materials. Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient internet skills that will allow basic research on the Web.
- Must possess excellent English-language verbal communication skills for giving briefings.
- ACTIVE TS/SCI w/ Polygraph.
- All candidates will be required to take and pass a language test administered by LEIDOS/ an accepted commercial testing vendors.
- Candidates must be familiar with cable and IC report writing styles and specific USG classified databases.
- Strong briefing and writing skills are a must as well as the ability to work well with teams or individually with minimal supervision.
- Candidates must have knowledge of domestic and foreign travel requirements and familiar customer travel policies and procedures.
- Candidates should have strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and operate in a fast paced, demanding environment.
- Good communication and customer service skills are needed along with ability to successfully process high volume travel requirements.
- Linguists who are proficient in multiple languages are strongly desired.
- Requires a BA degree in English or journalism, or equivalent experience and training, and 8+ years of prior relevant experience in editing or writing within the Intelligence Community. Additional years of experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
Guidelines on Residence/Travel:
- Travel OCONUS is a REQUIREMENT for some of the languages under this program unless otherwise specified. Candidate must be able to support the contract 24/7 when on travel.
Pay Range:Pay Range - -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.