The Maritime Solution Systems Portfolio within the Maritime Systems Division (MSD) is seeking an experienced and highly capable Mechanical Engineering Manager and technical lead to join the Leidos team in either Lynnwood or Poulsbo, WA. The scope of the business activities within this portfolio includes: underwater vehicle systems, maritime sensors, supporting information technology & engineering services for complex maritime applications, development and support of underwater data acquisition and telemetry systems for distributed sensors for ISR, IPOE, SSW and platform signature measurement.
This Mechanical Engineering Manager will lead a team of MEs in the support of a variety of maritime projects, including undersea vehicles, optical system design, subsea acoustic arrays, and at-sea installation and repair efforts. The Mechanical Engineering Manager will perform as supervisory lead over a team of geographically distributed mechanical engineers, with centers of focus in Poulsbo and Lynnwood, WA. In the supervisory role, the ME Manager will be responsible for mentoring the mechanical team, resource planning and allocation across the Portfolio, hiring and firing decisions, and overseeing mechanical engineering team performance. The ME Manager will also serve as a mechanical engineering lead within a multidisciplinary engineering team, combining their managerial and technical skills and be responsible for task delegation, mentoring, technical review, and execution of team to be on time and on budget.
MSD is an industry leader in developing, applying, and advancing the state-of-the-art signal processing technologies for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems including distributed netted sensor systems, communications systems, positioning systems, tactical decision systems, and autonomous unmanned platforms. Leidos maritime systems are addressing complex mission requirements and pioneering impressive firsts in the application of advanced signal processing solutions to the full range of maritime missions. The MSD team includes an outstanding group of engineers and scientists, located in Arlington VA, Long Beach MS, Newport RI, Lynnwood and Poulsbo WA, San Diego CA, and other sites around the United States, who support a broad range of activities ranging from advanced prototype development for DARPA, ONR and other S&T customers to provide support for ongoing Navy missions. The successful applicant will become part of a world class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development.
- Manage mechanical engineering team across a portfolio of multi-disciplined maritime programs.
- Coordinate within the overall Leidos Maritime Systems Division as a Mechanical Engineering Lead on the execution of proposals, project staffing, and successful execution of programs.
- Coordinate and oversee analysis and design of maritime systems in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Perform as a lead mechanical engineer in the execution of complex maritime projects.
- Develop solutions to complex maritime systems based on performance specifications, constraints, and external interfaces.
- Prepare and present design review materials for customers and internal stakeholders.
- Participate in planning and tracking of progress in development projects using tools such as Microsoft Excel and Project.
- Review specifications, engineering documentation, and detailed designs to provide senior mentorship and oversight.
- Requires a BA/BS or equivalent experience and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience. Generally has 4+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects.
- 12-15 years of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to obtain a TS clearance, TS/SCI preferred.
- Prior experience with either Mechanical Engineering or Ocean Engineering.
- Prior experience with managing an engineering team.
- Strong desire to perform management, proposal, and technical duties.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Requires working knowledge of and ability to apply standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques of technical domain.
- Working knowledge of project financials, understanding of DoD Earned Value Management systems, and PM principles.
- Maritime systems experience greatly preferred.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing. Understanding of ISO 9001:2015.
- Proven history of successful leadership skills.
- Familiarity with SolidWorks CAD and PDM Pro CAD management software.
- Familiarity with Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Familiarity with design for the marine & subsea environment including factors such as hydrostatic pressure, sealing, galvanic corrosion, and biofouling.
- Experience in or with a machine shop designing and fabricated piece parts.
- Model Based Systems Engineering experience preferred.
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.