Simulation Software Engineer – entry Level
Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? Leidos operates the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication.
To support these goals, Leidos is hiring a Simulation Software Engineer-entry level to work in McLean, Virginia as part of a team of researchers developing the latest automated vehicle technology. The position is a key part of the Leidos’ team supporting FHWA’s cutting-edge research. The work at STOL involves development and maintenance of various systems such as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, simulation, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity.
The Simulation Software Engineer-entry level will be part of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors. We are part of a larger FHWA research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA. The team at STOL demonstrates capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles.
Assignments may include rendering of visual scenes; simulation development, integration and operation; data parsing and composition; communications with network or hardware devices including radios; guidance algorithms; control of automated vehicles; data collection, display, storage, retrieval, and analysis; web applications for data entry, status reporting or control; database operations and data warehousing; and developing systems in an open source environment for use by researchers across the country.
This role will play a significant role in implementing, adopting, and evaluating Vehicle-to-anything (V2X) and Automated Driving System (ADS) simulation technologies developed both in-house and by others.
Systems of interest relate to the following:
- Cloud computing and cloud-based simulation
- Automated driving system simulation technologies
- Vehicle dynamic simulations and multi-resolution co-simulation
- V2X communication hardware, software, and standards
- Vehicle automation and cooperation
- Sensor fusion and perception
- Traffic simulation
- Driving simulator
- 3D and HD mapping
- Data visualization
- Traffic operations
- Intelligent transportation systems.
- Augmented reality (AR) and Virtual reality (VR)
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other science discipline (e.g., transportation engineering, electrical engineering, etc.)
- 2 years or less experience developing software as a software developer
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Experience with a distributed computing middleware (e.g. ROS, DDS, TENA, Kafka, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license in the US
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
- Hands-on experience with traffic simulation tools like SUMO, Vissim, Aimsun, TransModeler or similar
- Hands-on experience with vehicle dynamic and sensor simulation tools, such as CARLA, LGSVL, CARSIM, CARMaker or similar
- Hands-on experience with communication simulation tools like NS-3, OMNET++, NetSim, OPNET, Matlab or similar
- Developing software systems in an open-source environment
- Working in an Agile development environment
- Cloud computing development and configuration
- Operation and development for driver-in-the-loop, software-in-the-loop, hardware-in-the-loop, or motion platform simulators.
- Experience with HD maps and tools (e.g., Roadrunner)
- Experience with creating 3D maps for 3D simulators (Unreal Engine, CARLA)
- Understanding of communication protocols – TCP/UDP, SNMP
- Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques, and common practices (e.g., working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
- Familiarity with publish/subscribe architecture patterns such as ROS and DDS
- Familiarity with concepts of co-simulation or co-simulation frameworks (FMI/HLA/MOSAIC)
- Knowledge of vehicle electronic systems and standards (SAE, ISO, etc.)
- Experience with Git, Maven, Gradle, Docker and continuous integration
- Software development for AR and VR technology
- UML design language
As part of a close team, the engineer will need to:
- Be a team player and able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
Pay Range:Pay Range $50,700.00 - $78,000.00 - $105,300.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.