Leidos operates the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. The STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
Leidos is seeking a Communications Specialist to assist in the execution of the overall communications and technology transfer strategies and implementation plans to inform, educate, engage, support and develop stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications campaigns and materials, as well as coordinating project activities and stakeholder engagements to cultivate and maintain strategic partnerships in industry, academia, government, and consulting. Efforts will also include supporting technology transfer to internal and external partners and helping to manage project coordination.
The Communications Specialist will be a key part of the STOL team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the FHWA’s cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team advancing connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via testing, demonstrating, and providing the technology transfer for new capabilities associated with connected and automated vehicles with a focus on cooperative driving automation (CDA) and intelligent transportation systems (ITS) technologies.
Primarily responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Support the development and execution of communications campaigns that leverage print, digital, and multimedia solutions. This includes creating and editing compelling content for websites, videos, presentations, fact sheets, social media, general and technical media publications, newsletters, and other associated media and materials.
- Collaborate and coordinate with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs as needed to facilitate the logistics and publication of various communications materials.
- Review, edit, and develop concise summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
- Track, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of communications, outreach, marketing, and stakeholder engagement activities to inform future campaign strategies and investments.
- Support testing event filming and photo activities. This includes local and occasional out-of-state travel as needed.
- Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
- Support FHWA presence at conferences and trade shows both large and small
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 years or less of professional experience in marketing and communications, or a Master’s degree with 1 years or less of professional experience in marketing and communications.
- Ability to travel for conferences and filming, locally and out of state
- Strong understanding of branding and integrated marketing best practices to implement a cohesive vision across several projects.
- Demonstrated experience with writing and content development for a variety of communications media, platforms, and publications.
- Experience with the planning and execution of in-person and virtual events.
- Experience with metrics development, tracking, visualization, and reporting.
- Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English, and the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Proactive in actions and communications and able to follow through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Enjoys helping others, is self-motivated, takes ownership and initiative, and possesses a desire to learn and grow, while self-teaching with minimal guidance.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics, GitHub, Jira, and Confluence, including experience in configuring and customizing these environments.
- Experience with data management.
- Experience with cybersecurity operations.
- Experience operating professional video and photo equipment, conducting photoshoots, and editing media.
- Familiar with web conferencing tools and platforms.
- Experience with technical writing and following different communication style guides.
- Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
- Intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
- A desire to help others in deploying technologies in real-world settings and developing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance these technology transfer activities and technology adoption.
Pay Range:Pay Range $38,350.00 - $59,000.00 - $79,650.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.