Leidos operates the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. The STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
Leidos is looking for a Mid-level Software Engineer to build and maintain open-source C++/Java/Python systems for vehicle automation, vehicle to everything (V2X) communication, data collection & analysis, and distribution as part of the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) research on cooperative automation (CDA). Leidos operates the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. We do cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). This position involves development and maintenance of the CDA research system, various enterprise systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis. The successful candidate will play a significant role in implementing, adopting, and evaluating technologies developed both in-house and by others.
The Software Engineer will be part of a larger research agile team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives.
Software Engineer responsibilities:
- Design, develop and test software, primarily using C++/Java in both Windows and Linux environments
- Primary responsibility for maintenance, enhancement, and operation of the USDOT’s open source connected and automated vehicle tools, such as CARMA Platform, CARMA Streets, and V2X Hub.
- Software designs are documented with UML. Automated unit tests are routinely developed and maintained as the software evolves.
- Where necessary, user documentation is generated or updated to reflect changes in the software functionality. Documentation, code, and unit tests are routinely subjected to peer review.
- Occasional interaction with on-site customer representatives will be part of the job.
Location: Full time at FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Facility in McLean, VA.
As part of the STOL team, the engineer will need to:
- Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
- Work hard for the team’s success
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or other science discipline and a minimum of 4+ years full-time professional experience in C++ and/or Java/J2EE software development or a Master’s degree and 2+ years of experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
- Skilled in designing, developing, and managing applications using both relational and non-relational databases.
- Understand and leverage common software development architectural styles and patterns (SOA, Microservices etc.)
- Understand and apply quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, Test Driven Design/Development, continuous integration)
- Familiarity with communication protocols, such as TCP, UDP, SNMP
- Design and develop fully scalable applications.
- Professional writing and oral presentation skills.
Additional Desired Experience:
- Experience with message queues/message brokers/data streaming such as Apache Kafka, NATS.
- Experience developing and consuming SOAP and/or REST web services using specifications such as Open API.
- Experience developing user interfaces and web pages using frontend website development tools such as HTML5, CSS3, Java script, React, etc.
- Experience with automation or robotics principles
- Basic familiarity with the physics of a moving vehicle, especially as relates to lateral control and steering.
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience working with or implementing telematics systems and data visualization technologies.
- Experience with Git, Docker (including Docker-compose) and continuous integration/continuous deployment using Docker and Sonar Cloud.
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience working on Agile projects and working with Agile toolsets, such as JIRA and Confluence
- Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
- Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has sharp self-time management.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task.
- Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
- Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.