Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Carbon Material/Graphite Scientist to join our team in Pittsburgh, PA. The position may allow for a hybrid of onsite and remote research and development support for the NETL R&D facility in Pittsburgh, PA. This work will involve a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team, participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled women and men at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
We are seeking a Carbon Material/Graphite Scientist interested in joining a distributed, multidisciplinary team working on the cutting edge of carbon materials research. This work specifically supports the NETL research group with a focus on graphite and carbonaceous materials manufacturing, characterization, and application in electrochemical energy storage. The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with conducting synthesis, functionalization, and characterization of carbonaceous materials such as graphite, graphitic carbons, graphene, porous carbons, and composite materials based on these carbonaceous materials. A good understanding of electrochemical energy storage technologies such as lithium-ion batteries, supercapacitors or other energy storage devices, and applicable test and characterization techniques is also required.
Come join the Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), where you’ll be able to work side by side conducting research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research; discover, integrate, and mature technology solutions to enhance the nation’s energy foundation and protect the environment for future generations. You will contribute to the development of patents, written reports, journal articles, and contribute to presentations on findings, highlights, and innovative solutions in DOE-sanctioned meetings, scientific conferences, and national committees. Explore the Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) here - https://netl.doe.gov/.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!.
- Synthesize graphite, graphitic carbons, graphene, porous carbons as well as composite materials incorporating carbonaceous materials into different matrices, such as polymers, metals, and metal oxides.
- Characterize the structural, optical, electronic properties of different carbonaceous materials and composites using electron microscopy, FTIR, Raman, UV-VIS and photoluminescence spectroscopy, and XRD, etc.
- Electrochemical energy storage device (lithium-ion batteries and supercapacitors) fabrication and testing
- Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments.
- Experience with data processing and analysis software as well as Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel is required.
- Participate and present results in regular team meetings.
- Ability to design, optimize and implement processes to scale up the synthesis of nanomaterials.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, or a closely related field with an emphasis in conducting synthesis, functionalization, and characterization of carbon nanomaterials and applications in batteries and supercapacitors.
- 1 year of postgraduate research and development experience in laboratory operations.
- Possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, and materials science.
- Demonstrated ability authoring publications for peer-reviewed journals, presenting at conferences, and presenting results to stakeholders related to their research work. Research work at a structured laboratory like a national lab where safety is paramount is preferred.
Program Specific Salary Range: $90,000-$110,000/yr
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.