**This role is 100% remote and can be performed from any location in the US **
Leidos is seeking Distribution Designers for electric utility design engineering.
Work would include electric distribution utility design work package creation including, but not limited to overhead, URD, and underground cable/conduit design packages. Preferred experience would include assessment and development of design packages for pole replacements in varying environmental environments in compliance with any utility or client's engineering and construction specifications, coordination of conflicting utilities, work permit development, easement drawing creation and distribution system protection and coordination requirements. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), Structural modelling software (O Calc, Poleforeman, Spida Calc), and other client systems. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry estimates, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, estimating constructions costs and customer advocacy.
Distribution Designer Responsibilities:
- Design construction work package development of electrical overhead and underground distribution systems (operating from 4kV through 21kV), mostly associated with programmatic work such as overloaded transformers, inspection and maintenance, joint use, and OH and UG hardening and inspection reports.
- Comply with quality control and safe work practices and maintain compliance with project scope, schedule and budget.
Distribution Designer Required Education & Experience:
- For Level 1 - BS degree with 6 months - 2 years of related experience or BA or AS degree with 2 years relevant experience or HS diploma + 6 years of experience
- For Level 2 - BS degree + 2 years relevant experience OR BA degree or AS degree + 4 years relevant experience OR MS degree + 2 years relevant experience OR HS diploma + 8 years relevant experience
- Training for required skills will be provided
- In your home office – internet speed of at least 50Mbps
- Proven ability to communicate with clients and project teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Distribution Designer Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience developing cost estimates for electrical distribution projects
- Experience with overhead to underground conversions, line hardening, conductor replacements, voltage conversions
- Engineering experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand
- Experience with design tools such as Osmose O Calc, Poleforeman, SpidaCalc, PLSCAD, etc.
- Experience using 2D-CAD programs to perform electrical distribution design
- Experience utilizing utility standards, GO 95 and/or NESC
- Experience with projects in distribution design: using medium voltage switchgear, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects
- Experience with development of civil & electrical packages associated with complex cable/conduit in dense urban environments
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies.”
Successful Distrbution Designer candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain experience/expertise in:
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Project management
- Financial management
Pay Range:Pay Range - -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.