Support geologic core analysis and field data collection efforts to determine the feasibility of extracting critical minerals from sedimentary rock, coal, and coal by-products. Learn to work independently to perform geologic core analysis, following methods developed at NETL. The work will include:
- Description and recording of core properties,
- Core logging using portable XRF or other logging tools,
- Subsampling and sample preparation by crushing and milling for chemical/mineralogical analyses,
- Material characterization and mineral phase identification using images and elemental data from SEM-EDS analysis,
- Analysis of subsurface and spatial data pertaining to geologic structure, sedimentology, and geochemistry,
- Incorporation of unstructured data into a database or specific software format (e.g., digitizing core description logs and geochemistry data by depth).
Basic skills required
- Bachelor of Science in Geology or Earth Sciences with 0-2 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of basic geology, mineralogy, geochemistry, and sedimentary petrography.
- Understanding of sedimentology and stratigraphic principles including sequence and correlative stratigraphy.
- Knowledge of geospatial science and geostatistics.
- Skilled at data organization, analysis, and presentation and be able to produce publication quality figures, maps, and tables.
- Prior knowledge or experience in the use of geologic material characterization and analysis techniques such as optical and/or scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDS), x-ray fluorescence (XRF), or x-ray diffraction (XRD).
Pay Range:Pay Range $50,700.00 - $78,000.00 - $105,300.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.