Looking for an exciting opportunity to make an impact as a Chief Engineer?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) has an exciting Chief Engineer position which can be worked out of our state-of-the-art Operations Center in Blacksburg, VA or remote. The Chief Engineer will work with an elite team of IT professionals to maintain and implement an optimal environment for critical customer systems. The Chief Engineer is responsible for translating complex requirements into functional architecture ensuring maximum availability, performance, and security for our DoD customer.
The Chief Engineer will be responsible for the design, documentation, and implementation of cloud infrastructure and services in support of our DoD customer, within a large complex multiple ERP application environment.
• Creating designs, implementation plans, operational documentation, and continual improvement of cloud services
• Conducting cloud migration assessment, planning, and migration activities for varied application sets
• Creating automation capabilities aimed at improving service delivery and gaining operational efficiencies within a DOD AWS cloud environment
• Provide technical process improvement recommendations for standardizing and optimizing system and infrastructure design and architectures.
• Interacting with customer and application stakeholders
• Working closely with Operations teams, other team members, contractors, and application owners to solve complex technical problems related to cloud hosted systems
• Ensuring DOD security standards are built into designs and adhered to as part of the implementation.
• Ensure all aspects of cloud High Availability and Disaster Recovery (DR) are designed, executed, operational and tested.
• Providing technical leadership and architecture guidance to infrastructure implementation and maintenance teams
• Provide and identify opportunities for emerging IT solutions, integration of new technology, technical process improvement, as well as analysis of cloud utilization, with data visualizations, and alternative cloud resource sizing for government consideration to reduce costs and increase productivity
• Provide technical process and cloud architecture improvement recommendations for standardizing and optimizing system and infrastructure design and architectures.
• Experience developing test programs, project plans and roadmaps, and driving them to conclusion.
• Bachelor’s degree and 10 years experience, of which 4+ years of recent experience with AWS Cloud services and solution architect role, additional years of experience will be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
• DoD 8570 IAT Level II baseline certification (CCNA Security, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, CND, SSCP)
• Experience in large scale cloud native architecture design utilizing industry and CSP guidance such as the Well Architected Framework
• Familiarity with AWS services such as EC2, VPCs, IAM, ALB, ELB, security groups and an overall understanding of AWS cloud management
• Experience and SME level understanding of architectural designs and standards for ensuring the performance, availability, and security of cloud infrastructure systems in a DOD environment.
• Drives and implements automation enhancements and process improvement efforts that are assigned to multiple complex systems/applications.
• Demonstrate seniority by always following change control procedures, testing changes in non-production environments, developing back-out plans and monitoring infrastructure systems for possible performance, security, application, and system issues.
• Proactively assesses and monitors the current state of the service, user requirements, operations requirements, security gaps and industry trends to propose and deliver a roadmap to ensure infrastructure availability, support, and adherence to security/compliance requirements.
• Efficiently/effectively communicates and follows up in a positive and meaningful manner with stakeholders on problem/project status, proper procedures for system evaluations, current task/project priorities and alternatives to requests for services that do not meet standards.
• Operates well independently, with good judgment and little need for supervision.
• Demonstrates the ability to proactively identify and implement successful preventive measures, as evidenced by minimal issues associated with assigned systems and implementations.
• Facilitates and reviews the definition and implementation of standards, methodologies and best practices that guide the design of technology solutions such as architecting and implementing solutions requiring integration of multiple platforms, operating systems, and applications across the enterprise.
• US Citizen
• DoD Secret clearance is required prior to start (Interim Secret clearance is acceptable)
• AWS Solution Architect Professional certification (or equivalent experience) desired
• Current industry certifications fulfilling the DoD 8570 directive
• Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies such as AWS CloudFormation, Terraform and Ansible
**Candidates within a commutable distance to Blacksburg, VA preferred
Who Are We?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT as-a Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.