Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Geospatial Data Research Scientist to join our research team in providing actionable, data driven results to inform the transition to a carbon neutral energy future with an emphasis on equity and justice related to carbon storage and other infrastructure development and stewardship.
The successful candidate will work alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists as part of a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations for efficient and resilient energy systems to environmental stewardship of energy resources, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support the transition to a carbon-neutral energy future, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled people at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
Location: This position can be done remote, however selected candidate will be expected to travel to the NETL campus in Albany, OR on occasion (1-3x per year).
Aspiring candidates should demonstrate:
- Expertise working with Data Science, emphasizing data collection, processing and integration.
- Expertise working with Geographic Information Systems and Geospatial Data Analytics, emphasizing changes in Space and Time (i.e., Spatiotemporal Dynamics).
- Interdisciplinary experience with “messy” and “real world” data analysis of Engineered and Environmental Systems.
- An understanding of or experience with hydrogen and natural gas pipeline infrastructure.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Application of geo-data science methods and geospatial information science to analyze the existing Hydrogen (H2) and Natural Gas (NG) pipelines to identify the key parameters that can enable the H2 transport and storage at a large scale as well as demonstrate the importance of real-time pipeline monitoring and recommend optimized sensor deployment strategies to support smart maintenance and methane emissions reduction goals.
- Build data anonymization algorithms, packages, and products to develop a catalog that contains key datasets, key parameters, and known data gaps associated with current U.S. H2/NG infrastructure.
Required Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Bachelors’ Degree in either mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or computer science with 2+ years of applicable experience, or a Masters’ degree with 0+ years of applicable experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of and/or experience with current U.S. Hydrogen / Natural Gas pipeline infrastructure.
- Expertise with Geographic Information Systems and Geospatial Data Analytics.
- Expertise with Data Science and applied Machine Learning, especially supporting data collection, processing, and integration with the assistance of coding languages such as Python.
- Passion for equitable environmental stewardship of natural resources and participating in actionable research tackling historical issues of environmental justice during the energy transition (e.g., pipeline routing).
- Must be able to meet the requirements for gaining access to work on the NETL campus
- Expertise with ArcGIS
- Expertise with Python
Come join the Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), where you’ll be able to work side by side conducting research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research; discover, integrate, and mature technology solutions to enhance the nation’s energy foundation and protect the environment for future generations. You will contribute to the development of patents, written reports, journal articles, and contribute to presentations on findings, highlights, and innovative solutions in DOE-sanctioned meetings, scientific conferences, and national committees. Explore the Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) here - https://netl.doe.gov/.
Program Specific Salary Range: $75K to $90K
Pay Range:Pay Range $60,450.00 - $93,000.00 - $125,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.