Leidos has an opening for a Fire Protection Engineer at NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio. The primary functions for the Fire Protection Engineer are to provide support to the Facilities Infrastructure Division for Fire Protection and Life Safety. Services provided will ensure that Building and Fire Codes, NFPA, Life Safety Codes and NASA standards are identified and addressed in the concept and requirement phases, incorporated into the facility design and acquisition phases, and implemented in the facility construction.
- Provide direct support to the Authority Having Jurisdiction for Fire Protection and Life Safety.
- Provide in house design support and guidance to Facilities Engineering for life safety and means of egress systems, fire control and suppression systems, fire detection and alarm systems, building tenability systems, building fire resistance, electrical systems, lightning protection systems, gas detection systems, and other building systems and facility infrastructure relating to fire hazards in the workplace.
- Perform design reviews and ensure compliance with international, state and local building and fire codes, and NASA policy and guidance documents.
- Evaluate the performance testing of facility systems and equipment for repair and new system installations.
- Provide support to those responsible for addressing facility safety concerns of building occupants and Safety Professionals.
- Provide technical support for modifications of facilities, operations, and maintenance, and during the safety permit review process.
- Assist with Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) and Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) reviews.
- Review and inspect completed construction and maintenance tasks prior to turnover and issuance of beneficial occupancy.
- Support the FD Work Order Team by participating in onsite inspections and evaluations in order to define and incorporate applicable building code and fire/life safety requirements.
- Provide review and monthly reporting of overdue inspection findings within the System for Tracking Audits/Assessments and Reviews (STAR).
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years' relevant experience directly related to fire safety, building safety, life safety, and related code compliance including multi-faceted experience with significant work in hazardous materials control, manual fire response and suppression, facility loss prevention control practices, ignition source controls, inspection, testing, and maintenance of protective systems, fire investigation procedures, and related fire prevention best practices.
- Professional Engineer (PE) who has passed the fire protection engineering written examination administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).
- Completed OSHA 30-Hour General Industry Safety training course.
- Experience performing plan reviews against the applicable model codes, and state building and fire codes, and NASA policy and guidance documents (NASA policy experience preferred or may obtained upon hire).
- Ability to oversee and evaluate performance testing of required fire protection systems for repairs, periodic maintenance, and new system installations, and in auditing the periodic inspection testing and maintenance of these systems.
- Ability to understand and evaluate fire and life safety risk during research and testing operations.
- Working knowledge of Emergency Preparedness Plans, Continuity of Operations Plans and emergency responses.
- Ability to perform as Safety and Health Officer or Facility Liaison during emergency responses.
- Experience performing construction-site inspections and reviewing of construction contractor site specific health and safety plans.
- Completed OSHA 40-Hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response training course and maintains certification. (Preferred or may be obtained upon hire)
- NASA policy and guidance documents experience. (NASA policy experience preferred or may obtained upon hire).
Must be able to pass a Public Trust background investigation.
Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.