We are in search of a Network Operations Technical Lead to join our team at the Federal Trade Commission located in Washington, D.C. In this role you will serve as a technical leader who is responsible for organizing and leading network tasks and projects. The position requires strong communication skills, effective customer relationship management, and open communication between Service Desk, other vendor teams, and peer team members.
- Oversee the customer’s network environment including ZScaler, Wide Area Network (WAN), Local Area Networks (LAN), VoIP/VTC, firewalls and load balancers.
- Provide network engineering support for FTC network programs including core network, network modernization, firewall management, and network vendor coordination.
- Serve as Network Technical Lead, organizing and leading network team tasks and projects.
- Oversee and ensure ongoing resolution of Network tickets in FTC’s ServiceNow system.
- Interact with carrier network, voice and data providers as required to support troubleshooting of issues, coordinate changes, and develop strategic improvements.
- Support strategic improvements to the network environment including the planning and design of the network environment. Evaluate components of the network and identify opportunities for migration to the cloud
- Oversee the support, monitoring and upgrading of the network equipment
- Ensure achievement of relevant program Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Attend technical and recurring status meetings as required.
- Provide specifications for network architecture and ensure all changes are well documented with test plans, architecture and design documentation, roll-back plans, and any other documentation required by the change process. Ensure adherence to the FTC’s change management process.
- Ensure a well-maintained repository of network documentation.
- Interact daily with the Ops Manager, Chief Engineer, and customer Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to discuss the state of the network environment as well as tactical and strategic improvements.
- Monitor network activity utilizing the customer’s Network Monitoring System.
- Evaluate and recommend network modernization opportunities including needs assessments and new technologies and enhancements.
- Oversee patching and maintenance of all network switches, routers, firewalls, and network monitoring tools.
- Ensure an accurate inventory of the network environment within the ServiceNow system. Support periodic inventory requirements via physical verification of assets.
- Oversee physical cable and plant management activities including running and tracing cables and wires.
- Support FTC’s procurement process, obtaining and providing quotes for equipment and services as required.
- Ensure Network Ops team production change activities are performed during maintenance windows, which will typically be after-hours.
- Serve as a member of the on-call incident management team, rotated amongst team members weekly.
- 10+ years of experience with a combination of Network Engineering & Network Leadership roles or equivalent technical and leadership experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology related field or significant related experience at a mastery level demonstrating capability.
- Experience overseeing and supporting vendor appliances and components such as the following:
- Cisco Network, VoIP, and VTC (Cisco Unity, Jabber)
- Familiarity with process frameworks such as the ITIL framework
- A strong communicator with excellent verbal and written skills. Must be able to communicate with FTC and internal/corporate senior executive leadership regarding network strategy and projects that support network evolution.
- Ability to work onsite at our customer’s primary location in Washington, D.C. Onsite/near-site is required to support onsite activities; however up to 50% remote work is acceptable with proximity to Washington, D.C. sites within one hour commute time.
- Work overtime as required
- Perform physical work activities including standing, walking, bending, squatting, crawling (e.g., while running/tracing network cables) and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Willing to travel if required in support of job responsibilities.
- 15+ years of prior relevant experience
- Experience with ZScaler ZIA and ZPA.
- ZScaler certifications
- Experience with Palo Alto
- Experience with Aruba Wireless
- Experience with Network monitoring tools including SolarWinds and ScienceLogic SL1
- Experience with F5 Load Balancers
Pay Range:Pay Range $139,750.00 - $215,000.00 - $290,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.