Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking a Database Researcher to join our Team in providing actionable, data driven results to inform the transition to a carbon neutral energy future.
The position will be a hybrid of on site and remote research and development support for NETL at one of its three research sites: Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
This work will involve participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists as part of a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations for efficient and resilient energy systems to environmental stewardship of energy resources, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support the transition to a carbon-neutral energy future, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled people at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Independently collaborate with a large and diverse research team to understand and meet the database and data processing needs across multiple interdisciplinary projects addressing the nation’s transition to a carbon neutral energy future.
- Develop, document, and disseminate research database solutions to support release and publication of project results and products on online platforms (e.g. Energy Data eXchange® https://edx.netl.doe.gov/) and in peer reviewed journals and present at national conferences.
- Collaborate with research team members from multiple scientific disciplines and lead novel approaches to database development and data processing that align with the needs of each project and the subject matter domain of the data.
- Develop and modify automated data collection workflows across multiple projects and disciplines. Knowledge of web services, APIs, and other similar methods is expected in support of this type of effort.
- Research and develop data collection and extraction methodologies for online data resources.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team, including geologists, geographers, chemists, computer scientists, environmental scientists, and other researchers to assist each other in accomplishing project related tasks.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external clients.
- Generate data analysis reports that are publication worthy.
- Assist in writing methods, results, and data interpretations for publications in high quality, scientific peer-reviewed journals, and technical reports.
- Develop and present results for oral or poster presentation at staff meetings and professional conferences.
- Provide weekly and monthly technical updates to research team members and project management.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, or related field.
- 3+ years working in a team environment to find solutions using data-informed approaches.
- Ability to work flexibly across a range of research domains to develop strategies for evaluating, cleaning, curating, and publishing large datasets to align with diverse end use goals (e.g. risk assessment to inform decision making, anonymized catalogues for public access).
- Demonstrated expertise with Python and SQL to adapt existing and develop novel data management platforms and tools, especially Scikit-Learn, Pandas, SciPy, PostGreSQL, MySQL, and NoSQL.
- Experience with cloud-based and cluster computing for scalable data storage and management in support of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence applications.
- Experience developing, evaluating, and adapting strategies for database deployment to existing platforms (e.g. Energy Data eXchange®).
- Interest and ability to learn and work across multiple scientific knowledge domains and concepts.
- Experience working with Hierarchical Data Format (HDF5) in a data management pipeline.
- Communication skills and technical acumen to independently collaborate with multiple stakeholders across a diverse research team to develop novel data approaches to research questions and ensure accurate and reliable database and data product development.
- Experience with data conversion, formatting and cleanup from various sources and data types including geospatial, “messy”, and “real world” data from engineered and environmental systems.
- Must be able to meet the requirements for gaining access to work on the NETL campus
- Experience working in a team environment to create novel data management strategies, including demonstrated leadership over developing and deploying data management strategies.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software/applications (e.g., ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, QGIS, ArcGIS API for Python) and related database formats (e.g., Geodatabase, PostgreSQL/PostGIS, SQLite).
Salary Range for this position: $75K to $90K
Pay Range:Pay Range $60,450.00 - $93,000.00 - $125,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.