Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking a Research Product Developer to support novel digital research product development. This position would include adapting, testing, and deploying analytical tools across existing platforms (e.g., Energy Data eXchange® https://edx.netl.doe.gov/).
This position may involve a hybrid of on site and remote research and development support for the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) at one of its three research sites: Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
As a core member of the team, you will work alongside geographers, engineers, geologists, and data and computer scientists as part of a multi-disciplinary scientific, and technically oriented national laboratory team that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations for efficient and resilient energy systems to environmental stewardship of energy resources, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support the transition to a carbon-neutral energy future, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled people at NETL’s three research sites – Albany, Oregon; Morgantown, West Virginia; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support the Department of Energy’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Independently collaborate with a diverse scientific research team to develop and deploy novel digital products that integrate databases and risk assessment tools to inform decision making during the transition to a carbon neutral energy future.
- Communicate actively with the research team and the computational management team to ensure research products are developed to best integrate into existing platforms while maintaining scientific accuracy and impact.
- Work collaboratively to meet a pre-determined scientific and data driven goals for the project.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team, including geologists, geographers, chemists, computer scientists, environmental scientists, and other researchers to assist each other in accomplishing project related tasks.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external clients.
- Assist in writing methods, results, and data interpretations for publications in high quality, scientific peer-reviewed journals, and technical reports.
- Develop and present results for oral or poster presentation at staff meetings and professional conferences.
- Provide weekly and monthly technical updates to research team members and project management.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or similar field with 2+ years experience
- Demonstrated expertise testing, evaluating, and optimizing novel digital products, especially with a research focus.
- Collaborative and curious mindset to work as an independent member of a collaborative team to execute a collective vision together.
- Excellent communication skills to actively work with multiple people from various backgrounds to ensure products achieve scientific accuracy and computational functionality.
- Ability to support basic scripting as well as complex product development working as a conduit between subject matter research experts and digital management team to ensure functionality and accuracy through deployment and maintenance.
- Experience testing, evaluating, and optimizing digital products to execute specific capabilities to established standards of excellence.
- Communication skills and technical acumen to independently collaborate with multiple stakeholders across a diverse research team.
- Must be able to meet the requirements for gaining access to work on the NETL campus
- Experience with research projects and professional communication.
- Expertise with containerization using Docker or Kubernetes.
- Expertise with RESTful APIs.
- Experience with Cascading Style Sheets and/or web-based graphics design.
Salary Range for this position: $75K to $90K
Pay Range:Pay Range $63,050.00 - $97,000.00 - $130,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.