Leidos is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to join our team! The dynamic leader will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting Connected Automated Vehicle (CAV) research across the US through our work at the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) Saxton Laboratory (STOL), located at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. Our team helps to develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. The STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
This is an opportunity for someone who is seeking a leadership role in a fast-paced environment working directly with state and local DOTs as well as technology vendors in the CAV industry. The successful candidate will be a solid software development team manager with experience leading a team of 15+ software developers to support multiple research and development projects such as Vehicle to Everything (V2X) and Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) in a matrix organization. Engineering life cycle activities will include detailed software design, coding, unit testing, automated test planning and development, software integration, configuration management, version control, system testing, user documentation, customer interaction and team management.
Team Management and Execution
- Staff management & development; supervising a team of approximately 15-20 people
- Staff planning, including adjusting to shifting priorities and solving problems quickly
- Experience mentoring staff in order to maintain high levels of performance and positive morale
- Ability to collaborate with internal functional & project managers and customers in forming strategies to improve performance
- Act as scrum of scrums master to manage work streams of multiple sprint teams
- Manage release plan and road map for agile development
- Lead scrum team as scrum master for multiple projects
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Agile development methods and processes
- Experience managing software development processes using GitHub, Atlassian Jira and Confluence, Sonar Cloud
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and life cycle
- Knowledge or experience analyzing or developing ITS and/or control systems
- Experience developing real-time, embedded software is a plus
- Version control architecture and management
- Experience developing architecture and designing complex systems
- Strong knowledge of ITS, V2X
- Knowledge of NTCIP, SAE, IEEE standards as they pertain to ITS and Connected Vehicle domains
- Familiarity with Cooperative Driving Automation domain is a plus
- Experience in business and proposal development
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or other science discipline with 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
- May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Hands on experience coding with C++ and/or Java/J2EE software development
- Skilled in designing, developing, and managing applications using both relational and non-relational databases.
- Understand and leverage common software development architectural styles and patterns (SOA, Microservices etc.)
- Understand and apply quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, Test Driven Design/Development, continuous integration)
- Familiarity with communication protocols, such as TCP, UDP, SNMP
- Design and develop fully scalable applications.
- Professional writing and oral presentation skills.
Additional Desired Experience:
- Experience with message queues/message brokers/data streaming such as Apache Kafka, NATS.
- Experience developing and consuming SOAP and/or REST web services using specifications such as Open API.
- Experience developing user interfaces and web pages using frontend website development tools such as HTML5, CSS3, Java script, React, etc.
- Experience with automation or robotics principles
- Basic familiarity with the physics of a moving vehicle, especially as relates to lateral control and steering.
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience working with or implementing telematics systems and data visualization technologies.
- Experience with Git, Docker (including Docker-compose) and continuous integration/continuous deployment using Docker and Sonar Cloud.
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience working on Agile projects and working with Agile toolsets, such as JIRA and Confluence
- Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
- Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has sharp self-time management.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task.
- Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
- Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
- Mclean, VA
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.