Leidos is seeking a Solution/System Architect who will support the Leidos Transportation and Security Solutions programs. This architect position will provide high level design, process, and technical guidance to a team developing air traffic control systems that help manage the world’s busiest and most complex airspace. Leidos supports the Federal Aviation Administration’s NextGen program with systems including: En Route Automation Modernization (ERAM), Advanced Technology Oceanic Procedures (ATOP), Time Based Flow Management (TBFM), and Terminal Flight Data Management (TFDM), Mode S Beacon Replacement System (MSBRS), Enterprise-Information Display System (E-IDS), and Operational Analysis and Reporting System (OARS). Leidos also provides the SkyLine-X suite to enhance safety, improve on-time performance, and increase fuel efficiency globally in countries around the world. Leidos brings decades of experience leading large-scale, secure government systems, and mission-critical programs to bear
The Solution/System Architect has primary and multi-disciplinary skills to cost-effectively architect a large scale, high availability, high security infrastructure comprised of information services and networking capabilities required to support the National Airspace System (NAS) operations and administrative functions.
The Solution/System Architect interprets customer requirements and develops internal requirements and design solutions based on alternative analysis, providing detailed assessments against requirements (technical, cost, business, security, schedule), establishing the overall system architecture baselines: meeting the business and technical requirements for the organization’s overall objectives.
The Solution/System Architect provides vision and technical direction to all the system areas including the Wide Area Network, Network Management, Network Security, Operations Support System/Business Support System (OSS/BSS) and transition from the currently deployed system.
Solution/System Architect responsibilities:
• Assesses customer objectives, goals, intents, requirements, standards, etc. and re-craft these multifaceted constituents to re-state the problem and translate into high level system objectives and requirements.
• Establishes and maintains the system baseline.
• Performs customer requirement interpretation, develops internal requirements to support the design and delivery of the system.
• Establishes architecture baselines and works with the engineering team to allocate requirements to all elements of the system.
• Leads the development of trade-off alternatives evaluating make-buy feasibility by performing concept exploration using established trade-off techniques to identify the best solution inclusive of cost, schedule, function, performance, security, and risk using figures of merit.
• Develops realistic use cases and scenarios that the program will encounter and tests various solutions performing proof of concept demonstrations or experiments.
• Evaluates architecture solutions and creates models of the target architecture alternatives to study the positive/negative effects.
• Develops technical performance measurement objectives and produces TPM models to track progress in meeting the performance baseline.
• Documents the design with multiple views for various usage levels (technical architectural level, business level, operational level, maintenance level, etc.)
• Develops the system, subsystem and hardware/software specifications inclusive of a concurrent engineering team.
• Verifies conformance of the design to specification requirements and the established baseline.
• Produces engineering work products for the system under design to include: network communications hardware, software/platforms, systems, sparing plans, operational parameters, specifications, plans and reports.
• Identifies and quantifies risks and develops mitigation strategies.
• Organizes and optimizes the integration of systems, businesses and people so that the interaction is highly efficient and operates as a whole.
• Designs and defines interfaces between subsystems and external entities minimizing the amount of information to be exchanged between the subsystems and external entities.
• Develops transition strategies, plans and processes for migration from a legacy system and for co-evolving components of systems and their integration.
• Works with software engineering to develop and interpret requirements in the context of components and systems.
• Establishes a bills of material (BOM) baseline for software and hardware and defines the inventory management control system.
• Establishes reliability, maintainability and availability objectives and works with RMA engineering disciplines to define solutions to meet these objectives.
• Support system integration, test, acceptance and operations/maintenance during all phases of a program.
• Co-Chairs the Architecture Review board.
• Conducts system requirements reviews, design reviews, preliminary and critical design reviews with concurrent engineering teams and contractors to monitor and measure the progress of the system being designed.
• Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Enhances the engineering team accomplishments and competence by planning delivery of architectural solutions; answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members; teaching improved processes; mentoring team members.
• Requires Masters with 15+ years of prior relevant experience or Doctorate with 13+ years of prior relevant experience. A minimum of 10+ years of experience as a solutions architect in the telecommunications field
• Demonstrate in-depth experience and be considered an expert in the wireline and wireless telecommunication and networking domain.
• Demonstrate an understanding of full software development life cycle as well as proven experience with supporting highly critical customer missions.
• Proven portfolio of large complex telecommunication programs that required high level system architecture/design and applied system life cycle processes
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to demonstrate a commitment to personal and corporate excellence, ethical behavior and integrity.
• Cost accounting / earned value management
• Planning and cost estimating experience.
• Experience with execution under Waterfall and/or Agile development methodologies
• Prior experience in with large system architecture
• Prior experience in Air Traffic control systems
• Prior experience with International customers
• Understanding of OS, CAS, COTS products and lifecycles
Pay Range:Pay Range $139,750.00 - $215,000.00 - $290,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.