Are you ready for your next career challenge?
We are in search of a Lead Systems Engineer for our Leidos engineering capability. The successful Systems Engineer will have a full understanding of the principles of systems engineering, will have prior experience as a Systems Engineer on a major programme involving accepting and integrating deliveries from suppliers.
Using your experience in Systems Engineering, you will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle, with specific focus on Model Based Systems Engineering.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
As a Lead Systems Engineer in Leidos you will be immersed in one of our key programmes – transformation of the UK’s biometrics platform to cloud. On behalf of our central government customer, you will have direct impact on the current and future iterations of one of our most important pieces of critical national infrastructure.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Demonstrable knowledge of systems engineering concepts and applying these concepts to software-intensive & cloud hosted systems
- Responsible for the delivery of high-level designs, specifications, requirements traceability and working with all engineering disciplines in both definition and delivery of system wide changes.
- Responsible for managing and employing SE standard methods, MBSE models and artefacts, SE processes and tools to accomplish analysis, problem diagnosis and solution design, integration and test preparation, risk assessment and mitigation planning, and related activities.
- Interfacing with domain architects to identify required activities, perform collaborative planning, review deliverables, and resolve SE issues.
- Working closely with the Associate Chief Engineers, Domain Architects, Software, Data, Test and DevOps Engineers, and Data Scientists.
- Owning, impact assessing, updating documentation & overseeing development & release of changes to deployed applications & infrastructure.
- Technical management and execution of engineering activities, requirements analysis, implementation planning, third party coordination, integration and test, sustainment, documentation, deployment, and system assessment
- Defining processes and solutions for technical platforms, system specifications, system designs, input/output and working parameters for infrastructure and/or software compatibility.
- Developing and maintaining systems engineering documentation and diagrams/models through use of traditional and MBSE tools.
- Understanding and leveraging approaches to identify 1) Requirements that represent a gap in capabilities and 2) Opportunities for reuse
- Serving as an Agile product owner within a system of products (creation of the product vision, to design and development, through testing and into ongoing support).
- Coordinating with enterprise stakeholders to prioritize product backlogs for sprints and releases.
- Evaluating early designs compared to requirements and oversee systems engineering efforts.
- Applying strong baseline, configuration, and release management.
- Overseeing & contributing to the development of lower-level designs corresponding to owned areas of the system (application or cloud platform).
- Applying & developing ITIL aspects including Service Management Roles & Processes.
What Does Leidos Need From Me?
- A solid understanding an appreciation for the entire systems development lifecycle.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Experience in managing technical baselines and change control
- Ability to work with several stakeholders and suppliers across multi-disciplined teams.
- Ability to ingest large volumes of requirements and information developing clear understanding of customer needs.
- Demonstrable knowledge and cognisance of adjacent disciplines, including programme management, customer relationship management, supplier management, and service management.
- In-depth experience of conducting detailed systems engineering trade solutions to assess options & feasibility, and define optimal solutions.
- Strong knowledge of requirements and user scenario development.
- Interface technologies and design.
- Experience of application architecture, software engineering approaches and programming languages such as Java, C, or C++.
- Experience of networking topologies, designs, and equipment.
- Experience of storage and compute designs and implementations.
- Experience with Line and Task Management of a team of system engineers.
- Management of requirements and requirements traceability.
- Excellent documentation and articulation skills using IBM Rational DOORS.
- Understanding of testing approaches, techniques methods and practices.
- Appreciation of security design, tools, and their implementation of security within complex system.
- Ability to articulate complex system change patterns to enable the creation of project plans to deliver change.
- Willing to step outside normal skillsets to support the team; self-starter, proactive learning as required.
- Can work in an agile, SecDevOps environment.
- Identifies potential roadblocks and develops around them.
- Plans and estimates tasks/work to improve performance metrics (team improvement).
- Builds solutions where the solution is not always well defined but always considers the customer first.
- Knowledge of ITIL and experience of working with Service Oriented Architecture.
- Uses Jira and Confluence and updating progress frequently during the day.
- Familiarity with AWS or other public cloud.
- Experience of common tools Confluence or Requirements Yogi.
- Understanding designing / delivering systems in a Virtualised Environment.
- Experience in planning, coordinating, and implementing governance activities.
- Due to the nature of the project, this role will require having or obtaining an SC clearance
What we do for you:
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops, and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, gym memberships, annual buy and sell holidays, and a cycle to work scheme)
• Dynamic Working
Commitment to Diversity:
We welcome applications from every part of the community and are committed to a truly diverse and inclusive culture. We foster a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know, and we will respond in a way that best fits your needs.
Who We Are:
Leidos UK & EUROPE – we work to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through technology, engineering, and science.
Leidos is a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
What Makes Us Different:
Purpose: you can use your passion and abilities at Leidos to keep the people you care about safe. We are at the forefront of machine learning, AI, cyber security and solutions. Using your skills in the technology frontline by helping to build a safer world. You can inspire change.
Collaboration: having flexibility to do your job is one of our core benefits, enabling you to become part of our extraordinary team. We have been empowering our people to work flexibly for years. Whether you work from home, the office or on customer sites, we will give you the digital tools and the flexibility to work smarter and align your needs and ours.
People: Leidos empowers people from every background to be themselves and gives you the tools to learn new skills by enabling growth whilst developing. We believe that extraordinary people need opportunities to grow, to be inspired and to inspire others. At Leidos, we invest in technical academies, career rotations and a career development plan that enhance your future.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.