Leidos is currently seeking a Health Physicist to support the Ionizing Radiation and Laser Safety Programs at the NASA John H. Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio. Health Physics technical services provided at GRC include services in support of laser and other non-ionizing radiation activities, as well as those tasks/activities/projects involving sources of ionizing radiation. The preferred candidate will have a general health physics background with specialized experience with laboratory counting systems (e.g., gamma spectroscopy, gross alpha/beta) and portable instrumentation.
This position involves comprehensive knowledge of this field and the demonstrated ability to complete difficult and complex assignments. Must have good leadership, analytical, and reasoning skills as well as the ability to communicate complex ideas and provide innovative solutions. The role requires the ability to operate independently and communicate effectively, both internally with technical staff, peers, and management as well as externally with customers.
The Health Physicist will typically have the option to work remotely one day a week, and with additional flexibility when possible.
- Manage and maintain laboratory and portable HP instrumentation as well as a small counting lab. Associated functions include: performing internal or coordinating external calibrations, ordering supplies, effecting record-keeping and documentation requirements, and periodically assisting/advising Center staff on use of nuclear counting instruments.
- Provide HP technical support as needed in implementation of provisions of ionizing radiation safety programs in support of Center activities, projects, and programs such as performing radiation and contamination surveys and generating reports, conducting inventories and inspections, supporting shipping and receipt activities, etc.
- Support implementation of the Center’s Laser Safety and Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety programs.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline and a minimum of 4 years' related health physics experience. Years of experience as a Radiation Protection or Health Physics technician (e.g., Senior RP/HP Technician) will be considered in lieu of degree. Additional experience implementing elements of laser safety and non-ionizing safety programs is a plus.
- Candidate must be proficient with the use of Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, for presentations, reports, and other uses.
- Previous experience at NASA or other Federal Agencies is preferred.
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance. U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residence is required due to length of investigation for non-U.S. Persons.
Pay Range:Pay Range $54,600.00 - $84,000.00 - $113,400.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.