No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Leidos is seeking an Associate Distribution Engineer in our Houston, TX office. The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include grid hardening and reliability, substation optimization, joint use make ready and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems. Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer Licensure (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Training
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain experience/expertise in:
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS Design
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
The successful Associate Distribution Engineer candidate will support the following activities under supervision of a technical lead:
- Develop design and construction work packages for electrical overhead and underground distribution systems operating from 4kV through 138kV mostly associated with programmatic work such as overloaded transformers, inspection and maintenance, joint use, and inspection reports.
- Comply with Leidos and Client Safety requirements as well as design and quality expectations.
- Travel to sites as needed, perform inspections and return to the office to perform engineering design work.
- Perform engineering calculations such as: structural analysis for wood pole loading, guying calculations, specifying conductor sags and tensions for recommended spans, and calculation of voltage drop and flicker.
- Develop permitting documents for different AHJ’s.
- Provide engineering support during construction, including post-construction reviews to ensure all applicable engineering and construction standards have been met.
- Conduct root cause analysis of outages and mitigation using engineering principles and design.
Associate Distribution Engineer Basic Qualifications:
- Requires BS Degree and less than 2 years prior relevant experience OR BS non-engineering degree and less than 5 yrs relevant experience
- Experience with NESC Standards, ESRI, AutoCAD and/or MicroStation, and GIS a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Pay Range:Pay Range $44,200.00 - $68,000.00 - $91,800.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.