Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos UK & Europe, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Your greatest work is ahead!
Working within the multi-disciplinary IDENT1 UK TechOps team you will be immersed in the Home Office Biometrics (HOB) programme currently undergoing transformation of the UK’s biometrics platform to cloud. On behalf of our central government customer, you will have direct impact on the current and future iterations of one of our most important pieces of critical national infrastructure.
TechOps Analysts are expected to support and maintain the IDENT1 system and any of its sub-systems within, housed at both primary and secondary sites and comprising of physical or virtual hardware either on-premises or eventually provisioned as cloud services, software, network services and data storage through both Business as Usual (BAU) and Project work.
As well as being technically proficient, Infrastructure & Application Support Engineer also require excellent team motivational and customer relation skills, being prepared to take the lead on projects, show task ownership and be willing to provide a full “end to end” service for fault resolution. Engineers will manage set-up, configuration and fault finding of key infrastructure ensuring that systems are working efficiently and to the correct specification.
Linux and Application Support Engineers are expected to support and maintain the IDENT1 system and any of its sub-systems within, housed at both primary and secondary sites and comprising of physical or virtual hardware either on-premises or eventually provisioned as cloud services, software, network services and data storage through both Business as Usual (BAU) and Project work.
As well as being technically proficient Linux and Application Support Engineers also require excellent team motivational and customer relation skills, being prepared to take the lead on projects, show task ownership and be willing to provide a full “end to end” service for fault resolution. Engineers will manage set-up, configuration and fault finding of key infrastructure ensuring that systems are working efficiently and to the correct specification.
The service is a 24/7 operation and although this role operates in core hours, individuals will on rare occasion need to be flexible in working patterns to support out of hours work.
On-call support (with additional payment) is shared on a rotational basis between the TechOps team and will be a mandatory part of this role once adequate training has been provided.
Support and maintain BAU of the IDENT1 system and any of its sub-systems.
System Issues (ITIL Incident, Problem & Change management)
Review of incidents:
• Investigate and resolve escalated incidents and service requests within allocated SLA target time
• Perform trend analysis of incidents for escalation into Problem Management
• Prioritise with guidance from line Manager
Analysis and resolution of issues:
• Reproduction of problems on Test Beds
• Provide workarounds for the Service Desk (SD) and Technical Operations (TechOps)
• Open problems/defects defining issues where software/hardware changes are required
• Involvement in Continuous Service Improvement (CSI) process
Provide sufficient details of issues and examples as needed to US Operations Maintenance
Maintain and improve the IDENT1 system including:
• To assist in solving existing software / implementation problems.
• To create new software and hardware tools.
• To actively search out errors or faults before they impact operations.
• To maintain and improve system procedures and documentation
• To maintain and improve the implementation of the COTS products
• Install / assist with installation of software.
• Implement new technology within the project.
• Monitoring of the system using E-Health, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Custom monitoring scripts
• Ad-hoc system monitoring
• Recommend and help develop new monitoring capabilities through CSI process
Support the following sub systems: Live Scan, Biometric Search Gateway (BSG), and Custody Interface (NSPIS)
Support the following OS:
• Linux (SuSE)
• UNIX (SUN Solaris)
Support Integrated COTS Software
• Oracle Discoverer
• Identity Manager (IDM)
• Active Directory
• Virtualisation (VMware)
• AWS Cloud
Procedures & Documentation
Support line management activities during line manager’s absence
Augment the Agile Change team on customer Change Requests
• Housekeeping, routine maintenance, and system cleanup
• Maintain Data Integrity
• Performance monitoring of systems
• Disaster Recovery
• Machine Builds
- Central/Bureau Workstations
- Central/Bureau Server
Software Releases & Operational System changes
• Evaluating impact to operations
- Review, evaluate, and implement procedures
- Train team members on the Integrated COTS Software products before rollout and deployment
• Develop preparation plans and schedule
• Provide training to Ops Teams
• Participate in testing
• Support rollout and deployment
Technical Operations Lead
• Familiarity with Technical Operations
• Technical expertise in at least one Integrated COTS Software product (see above)
Troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to solve system faults/problems.
Ability to write shell scripts in C, Bourne, Perl, or similar scripting language
• Ability to take problems from a customer level to a defect level (root cause).
• Knowledge of Sun Solaris, SuSE Linux, and Windows operating systems
• Ability to present technical solutions to technical and non-technical staff
• Able to work with other Senior Engineering staff.
• Take on new projects with enthusiasm and imagination.
• Willingness to volunteer or chip in when the going gets tough.
• Conversant with ITIL, SLA’s and using LANdesk tool accurately.
• Ability to raise problems, defects, or changes.
• Update and write procedures where appropriate.
• Professional and reliable communication both within and outside team.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.