Are you excited about using new types of data and emerging transportation technologies to optimize the Nation’s transportation system? Are you passionate about helping state and local agencies apply innovative operations strategies to keep people and goods moving safely during work zones, traffic incidents, bad weather, or special events? Do your talents span communications and analytical problem solving?
If so, then please consider joining the Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions team.
Leidos seeks a Senior Transportation Operations Specialist to provide leadership on projects under contract to the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) Federal Highway Administration and State/Local Departments of Transportation (DOTs).
Senior Transportation Operations Specialist responsibilities:
• Ensure organizational preparedness for non-recurring events (incidents, work zones, special events, weather, etc.) and associated disruptions to transportation operations.
• Identify, inform, and engage staff on opportunities to advance industry practices
• Provide technical leadership to staff working on projects of national significance and proposals focused on manage disruptions to transportation operations.
• Produce project deliverables including guidebooks, analysis tools, training courses, and workshops. Lead workshops and training for State and local agencies, collaborate with transportation agencies to pilot advance technologies and emerging data in operations, and conduct research in the areas of work zone safety and mobility, traffic incident management, and road-weather management systems.
• Discern customer and stakeholder needs and anticipate future requirements
• Manage and lead multiple projects related to transportation operations. Projects range in size from approximately $100,000 to $5 million.
• Manage the project budget, schedule, client interactions, and deliverable quality.
• Oversee and direct work performed by subcontractors and other project staff to meet project objectives.
• Develop new business in the transportation operations area in the Federal and state/local markets and maintain existing client engagement.
• Lead proposals for the operations program, including team management, writing, content review, developing work breakdown structures and budget.
Typical Job functions Include:
• Developing analytical solutions to client’s research objectives.
• Authoring technical reports.
• Providing systems engineering documentation.
• Facilitating meetings, workshops, and roundtables with project staff, clients, and stakeholders.
• Reviewing project deliverables (reports, software, etc.) and directing revisions.
• Providing technical guidance to proposal managers, project managers, and other staff.
• Leading preparation of proposals.
• Requires a Bachelors degree and a minimum of 12+ years of prior relevant experience or a Masters degree with a minimum of 10+ years of prior relevant experience.
• Master’s degree in transportation operations, transportation systems, advanced transportation technology, or similar is highly desired.
• Experience should include increasing levels of technical leadership of significant work on transportation activities.
• Experience with ensuring organizational preparedness to deal with non-recurring events and associated disruptions to transportation operations.
• In-depth experience with at least one of the following areas and familiarity with all of the areas: work zones, traffic incidents, planned special events, and adverse weather.
• Experience demonstrating a thorough understanding of data, connected and automated vehicles, and transportation safety in relation to preparing and dealing with nonrecurring events.
• Demonstrated understanding of the tradeoffs and considerations in safety and mobility related to managing disruptions on highways.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong analytic and quantitative skills
• Fluency with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; Microsoft Access is a plus.
• Demonstrated project management experience ideally for Federal government projects.
• Detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Work experience in a consulting environment.
• Detailed knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration’s Operations Program.
• Experience working with state or local DOTs on implementing real world programs/training for managing disruptions to operations
• Ability to conduct statistical analyses and design program evaluations.
• Field/management experience in managing highway disruptions, mitigating traffic impacts from disruptions, and achieving operational resiliency.
Pay Range:Pay Range $105,300.00 - $162,000.00 - $218,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.