Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Leidos is seeking a Water Research Engineer to join our research support team in Pittsburgh, PA supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), where you’ll be able to work side by side conducting research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research; discover, integrate, and mature technology solutions to enhance the nation’s energy foundation and protect the environment for future generations. You will contribute to the development of patents, written reports, journal articles, and contribute to presentations on findings, highlights, and innovative solutions in DOE-sanctioned meetings, scientific conferences, and national committees. Explore the Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) here - https://netl.doe.gov/
This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience helping the NETL mission. There is growing demand from the oil and gas, electricity generation, and industrial sectors for treatment processes to concentrate high salinity brines. The current methods of dewatering brine are either capital expensive, energy intensive, and/or limited to low water recovery. We are developing a multi-stage membrane processes that can increase the operating range for recovering water from high salinity brines. The research goal is to characterize the transport properties (permeability and selectivity) of commercially-available membranes both with and without the presence of scale forming species and with/without anti-scalants.
Location: 100% onsite at NETL campus in Pittsburgh, PA
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Perform research at the existing NETL lab that specializes in the Desalination of Produced Waters
- Assist operation of pilot-scale desalination equipment
- Perform sampling of process streams from NETL’s and collaborators’ lab and pilot scale equipment
- Perform measurement of minor species in effluent streams and how much the major and minor ions cross through the membrane. (for a range of commercially available membranes)
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, environmental/civil engineering, or mechanical engineering with 2+ years experience at the laboratory or pilot scale operating water membrane process equipment. Master’s degree with less than 2 years experience will also be considered.
- Must be able to meet the requirements for gaining access to work on the NETL campus
- Laboratory experience operating reverse osmosis (RO), nano-filtration (NF), osmotically-assisted reverse osmosis (OARO) and membrane distillation equipment.
- Previous experience working with various scientists to complete water analysis laboratory work.
- Previous experience completing basic lab manager tasks such as ordering supplies and materials, equipment maintenance, and equipment calibration.
Salary Range for this position: $75K to $85K
Pay Range:Pay Range $63,050.00 - $97,000.00 - $130,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.