Leidos Engineering has an opportunity for a Senior Wind Energy Consultant working in a team setting in an existing renewable energy consulting practice.
Primary responsibilities and duties include assisting the team in the following areas.
- Writing independent/owner engineering reviews and reports including financeable wind energy assessments.
- Performing wind energy resource assessments resulting in annual energy production estimates.
- Performing wind energy operational assessments.
- Developing wind resource assessment best practices and continuously improving processes and procedures.
- Analyzing and interpreting large datasets from meteorology towers, remote sensing sources, and long term reference data.
- Conducting data correlation studies using reference climate databases.
- Confirming site suitability studies with respect to site conditions for wind turbine generator technologies. Assessing the impacts of site suitability studies on wind turbine generator design life.
- Reviewing performance test provisions and results.
- Reviewing and analyzing SCADA data to assess the performance of operating wind turbine power generating facilities.
- Developing optimized wind farm layouts considering project constraints and optimization opportunities.
- Visiting sites (proposed wind energy generation site locations, facilities under construction, and/or operating facilities).
- Working with project managers in developing scopes and budgets for new consulting opportunities.
- Working with the division management in training and mentoring other technical team members and maintaining/growing Leidos’ viewpoints/opinions, wind energy information database, standards of practice, and internal improvement projects.
- Utilizing linear and CFD models to simulate wind flow characteristics.
Other opportunities within the role include supporting business development activities, supporting reviews of other energy generation technologies such as solar, performance modeling, participating in reviewing operations and maintenance of power generation facilities, developing and presenting white papers, and attending conferences.
- Bachelor of Science degree in science or engineering required with a minimum of 12 years’ experience in: meteorology, atmospheric science, or energy production modeling/analysis/testing of wind turbine technologies. Master of Science or other advanced degree is desirable. Experience in lieu of degree will be considered.
- Previous work experience with a developer, equipment provider, architect/engineering firm, EPC firm, independent engineer, and/or on a wind energy optimization team.
- Previous work experience with commercially available wind energy modeling tools such as Openwind, Windfarmer, Windpro, or WASP.
- Deep understanding of wind energy, including first principles understanding of how the atmosphere, topography, seasonal variation, and operation of wind turbine generators impacts long-term energy production of wind farms.
- Understanding of industry trends in technology, analysis methods, and optimization.
- Ability to successfully meet deadlines under pressure. Clients and (external) project teams will include private equity, infrastructure, and hedge funds, investment and commercial banks, private developers, legal and financial advisors, original equipment providers, and energy service companies.
- Successful track record collaborating with teams, maintaining client relations and working with clients (both internal and external).
- Offshore wind technology experience is a plus.
- Experience ascending and ability to ascend 100+ meter wind turbine towers.
- Foreign language skills are a plus, especially Spanish.
Pay Range:Pay Range $118,300.00 - $182,000.00 - $245,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.