Leidos has an opening in Northern Virginia for a Cyber Threat Detection Developer to support our TSA customer in their Security Operations Center.
Duties include utilizing a Splunk Enterprise Services SIEM to proactively research and then apply custom detection capabilities from disparate data sources such as: cyber threat intelligence, vulnerability data, campaign and indicators of compromise. These threat detection data types will be used to develop custom security, engineering and or applicable dashboards; validate existing and/or create new correlation rules and alerts, as well as validate the index sources of the SIEM to ensure a thorough defense in depth for the enterprise. Daily activities will include investigating and analyzing all logs available within the SIEM, documenting workflows and identifying process improvements in the handling and remediation of cyber security events. The developer will be required to have a deep understanding of how to develop custom content within the Splunk SIEM using advanced SPL language and data models or other network security tools to detect threats and attacks. Cyber Threat Detection Developers participate in briefings to provide expert guidance on new threats and will act as an escalation point for cyber analysts and engineering leads. The developer will also be required to author reports and/or interface with customers for ad-hoc requests. In addition, the Threat Detection Developer may be asked to participate in discussions to make recommendations on improving SOC cyber visibility, process improvements and reducing the incident remediation period.
- Capture use cases from subscribers or other team members to develop custom correlation rule(s), validate and or create new dashboard(s) and validate all index sources for applicability within the Splunk environment
- Utilize knowledge of latest cyber threats and attack vectors to develop and or maintain custom Splunk correlation rules from all indexed sources to support continuous event monitoring and alerting
- Develop, manage, and maintain Splunk data models
- Review all existing network event sources to determine if relevant data is present and make technical recommendations to remediate any missing log components
- Review and or suggest new log and event index types as new devices are brought into the enterprise network
- Develop custom regex to create custom knowledge objects
- Developing custom SPL using macros, lookups, etc., and network security signatures such as SNORT, YARA and Zeek
- Develop custom dashboards and reports for customer stakeholders
- Train and mentor junior staff
- Normal working hours of 8:00am – 5:00pm, however actual hours may vary depending on mission requirements
- Education: Bachelor’s in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cybersecurity or related field and 12-15 years of prior relevant experience.
- Years of Experience: At least five years of experience in developing, implementing, and managing Splunk correlation rules and content
- Certification: Splunk Core Certified Advanced Power User certification
- Clearance Requirements: SECRET
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and must be capable of the understanding, documenting, communicating and presenting technical issues in a non-technical manner to audiences with varying degrees of technical expertise
- Extensive experience working with various security methodologies and processes
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP protocols, experience configuring and implementing various technical security solutions, extensive experience providing analysis and trending of security log data from a large number of heterogeneous security devices
- Must have demonstrated ability to build and implement event correlation rules, logic, and content in the security information and event management system with specific experience in the Splunk environment
- Must have demonstrated ability to tune the SIEM event correlation rules and logic to filter out security events associated with known and well-established network behavior, known false positives and/or known errors
- Must have experience maintaining an event schema with customized security severity criteria
- Must have experience creating scheduled and ad-hoc reporting with SEIM tools
- Must possess a thorough and in-depth understanding of SEIM technologies and event collector deployments in the Windows and Linux operating environments
- Experience developing advanced correlation rules utilizing tstats and data models for cyber threat detection
- Experienced creating and maintaining Splunk knowledge objects
- Experienced managing and maintaining Splunk data models
- Experience creating regex for pattern matching
- Experience implementing security methodologies and SOC processes
- Splunk Enterprise Security Admin, Splunk Certified Developer certification.
- Experience with cloud (e.g. o365, Azure, AWS, etc) security monitoring and familiar with cloud threat landscape
- Experience analyzing Packet Capture formatted data (PCAP).
- Experience developing custom scripts using Python
Pay Range:Pay Range $118,300.00 - $182,000.00 - $245,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® innovation company rapidly addressing the world’s most vexing challenges in national security and health. The company's global workforce of 47,000 collaborates to create smarter technology solutions for customers in heavily regulated industries. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $15.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2023. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.