The Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions Portfolio is seeking a Mid-level Research Psychologist / Human Factors Specialist to direct empirical studies of Human Factors issues in the safety and operation of the U.S. transportation system. As part of the Human Factors Support Services program, the Research Psychologist will work closely with a team of research scientists, transportation engineers, and support staff to conduct cutting edge highway safety and operations research. The candidate will lead and develop research design, plan and execute research design meeting research objectives, report writing and dissemination on empirical studies and their outcomes. Opportunities are available for publishing and presenting cutting edge research results.
The Research Psychologist will work to help on projects under contract to the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) at the Federal Highway Administration Turner Fairbank Highway Research center in Mclean, VA. Work will be performed in a hybrid onsite/remote mode through telecommuting arrangements. Facilities such as a research sign testing lab, connected intersection testbed, Virtual Reality laboratory, and static- and motion-base driving simulators at the Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center are used to assist research on a variety of topics including: transportation systems management and operations; automated driving systems; cooperative driving automation; intersection design; roadway design; signing; pedestrian and bicyclist safety; visibility; traffic control devices; weather; and work zones.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
· Performing thorough literature reviews and summarizing technical information
· Designing and conducting applied behavioral research studies and data collection procedures
· Assuring quality control in data collection
· Interpreting results from statistical analyses
· Speaking with internal and federal project team members
· Developing technical solutions that require association with internal experts across a variety of disciplines
· Managing and/or collaborating with other technical personnel in a multi-disciplined environment
· Preparing research reports and summaries of research activities
· Reviewing and evaluating complex research studies or programs
· Conveying technical information to audiences with diverse backgrounds
· An advanced degree (Ph.D. or Masters) in experimental psychology, human factors, or an equivalent field; experience in lieu of degree may be acceptable
· At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in research specific to the transportation field and experimental psychology.
· The ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
· Background and expertise specific to human factors, highway safety and operations, driving automation technology, vulnerable road user safety and Cooperative Driving Automation
· Prior practice with Virtual Reality or Virtual Programming Environments
· Ability to work freely to achieve day-to-day objectives with significant impact on project deliverables
· Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has sharp self-time management.
· Good technical knowledge and comprehension of impact on end-product/solution
· Demonstrated participation in engaging a variety of industry, government, research, consulting, and other professionals to achieve a common goal
· Demonstrated effective writer and engaging presenter who excels at making highly complex and technical information accessible to diverse audiences
· Prior involvement in an applied research/development/testing environment
· Ability to perform well under the pressure of multiple contending deadlines
· Ability to think analytically and apply general concepts to other applicable topics
· Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work freely
· Seeks constant improvement through self-identified opportunities and peer feedback
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.74 billion for the fiscal year ended in 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay Range:Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.