The Civilian Health Solutions Operation is hiring a Java Lead to support a large contract under HHS. This is a remote position with a need to be in-person for team and program all-hands events once a month.
We are seeking a technical Java Lead to manage a team of analysts, developers. The primary technologies are mainframe as well as Java based. The role is 50% hands-on Java work and 50% team management. The candidate will be responsible for the design, development, and testing of java based application architectures in a fast paced development environment. Main responsibility will be managing development of Java web applications with auxiliary support of batch based java applications. The web based application architectures include web applications, web services, micro services, and database operations. The candidate will also be responsible for operations and maintenance of applications and services in a Portal environment based on the Java Spring Framework. Candidate must demonstrate the ability to work independently or under only general direction. Applicant must provide management direction to system and software engineers in completing tasks. Candidate should be familiar with Software Engineering methodologies such as Software Development Life Cycle and Agile development.
- Define the requirements of projects, build project teams, lays out a blue print for projects including the project scope and parameters, and clearly communicates the goals of the project to the team.
- Lead the team towards success. Provide direction and make them understand what is expected of them.
- Clearly explain the roles of each member of the team.
- Build a team comprising of individuals with different skills so that each member contributes effectively to the best of their abilities.
- The Java Lead is the link between the Federal product owner, the functional/IV&V team, the development team and the Program Manager.
- Responsibilities include coordinating and transferring all the relevant information from the Federal product owner to the team and reporting to the Program Manager.
- The Java Lead will work closely with analysts, software designers and other staff members and communicate the goals of the project.
- The Java Lead will guide the team at every step and ensure that the team has cohesion.
- Provide advice to team members whenever they need it and points them in the right direction.
- Liaise with business users to elicit requirements and translate them to system requirements and work with development team to define technical solutions.
- Directly liaise with federal customers and advise on the business functions that are within the sphere of responsibility and scope.
- Lead team meetings and report status and follow-up of action items that are assigned to the group.
- Conduct system design activities and reviews of detailed application module specifications, classes, objects, methods, and other software components.
- Ensure that architectural solutions met technical and functional requirements.
- Review existing system architecture and recommending improvements and participate in engineering reviews to determine any ambiguities.
- Scrutinize change requests to determine the magnitude of work done and estimate the level of effort.
- Responsible for design, and the implementation plan of end-to-end integrated systems.
- Responsible for balanced and focused development of systems and its maintenance.
- Hold others accountable for deliverables that are due to them in order for them to meet their work deadlines and complete their assignments.
- Make project schedules with assigned tasks according to agree upon time frames.
- A key responsibility is to execute the approved plan and ensure that it is monitored and make course correction as needed.
BS degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience. Experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
Knowledge or experience with Software Engineering (IEEE) Capability Maturity Model (CMM) standards. Knowledge or experience with Full Development Life-Cycle (FDLC) methodologies. Familiar with SQL tools. Knowledge of object oriented programming analysis methods. Experience with or knowledge of data modeling and modeling tools. Experience with building customer relationships to prioritize and analyze system issues. Working knowledge with federal customer is a plus.
All candidates supporting the HHS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.