Currently, we have an opportunity for a Lead Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering in Charlotte, NC. This role will require leading other distribution engineers, oversight and QA/QC of both simple and complex engineering projects, working directly with clients, and ensuring the Leidos reputation of high quality is maintained.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain expertise in:
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Financial and Project management
The qualified individual will be expected to:
- Perform design engineering
- Lead a team of engineers
- Manage scope, schedule and budget of work assigned
- Be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Lead preconstruction meetings with construction crews
- Review engineering design packages with clients
- Perform functional tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
- Perform scope analysis of work assigned and maintain schedule adherence in support of client priorities.
- Establish and develop client relationships while providing a positive influence in leading a team and collaborating with peers.
- Initiate continuous improvement to work flow processes that drive efficiency and high quality standards in client design deliverables.
Successful Distribution Engineering candidates should have experience in developing the work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as DDS, GDT, GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer and/or Maximo. The candidate will be comfortable in both a field and office setting, and will be trained in customer specific engineering and construction standards. Successful candidates will have prior experience performing structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand and fault currents. Candidates will gain experience in coordination of conflicting utilities, and other field engineering design requirements, the assessment and development of design big packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements, and ROW applications.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) and 4+ years of prior relevant experience OR Master’s degree with 2 + years: relevant experience either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and distribution construction standards
- Experience with work management software and job estimating software
- Experience using CAD tools
- Experience with budgeting and scheduling tools (MS Project, Primavera P6)
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation to and from our Charlotte, NC location
Nice to haves:
- Experience providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
- Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, DDS
- Experience using MicroStation--performing Electrical Distribution design
- Experience with design standards
Successful candidates will possess the following Professional Attributes:
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills and supporting of customer advocacy
- Collaborative and inclusive attitude toward individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Professional dress and demeanor
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies.”
Pay Range:Pay Range - -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.