Are you excited about using new types of data and emerging transportation technologies to optimize the Nation’s transportation system? Are you passionate about communicating to state and local agencies apply innovative, problem-solving operations strategies to keep individuals and goods moving safely during work zones, traffic incidents, bad weather, or special events? If so, then please consider joining the Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions team.
Leidos seeks a Senior Transportation Operations Specialist to provide management on projects under contract to the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) Federal Highway Administration and State/Local Departments of Transportation (DOTs). The ideal candidate will be able to help develop solutions to client’s research objectives by; author technical reports, provide systems engineering documentation, facilitate meetings/workshops/roundtables with project staff, clients, and stakeholders, review project deliverables and direct revisions, provide technical guidance to proposal managers, project managers, and other staff, and be able to guide preparation of proposals.
• Ensure organizational preparedness for non-recurring events (incidents, work zones, special events, weather, etc.) and associated disruptions to transportation operations.
• Identify, inform, and engage staff on opportunities to advance industry practices
• Provide technical influence on staff working on projects of national significance and proposals focused on manage disruptions to transportation operations.
• Produce project deliverables including guidebooks, analysis tools, training courses, and workshops. Direct workshops and training for State and local agencies, team up with transportation agencies to pilot advance technologies and emerging data in operations and conduct research in the areas of work zone safety and mobility, traffic incident management, and road-weather management systems.
• Discern customer and stakeholder needs and anticipate future obligations.
• Manage and direct multiple projects related to transportation operations. Projects range in size from approximately $100,000 to $5 million.
• Manage the project budget, schedule, client interactions, and deliverable quality.
• Oversee and direct work performed by subcontractors and other project staff to meet project objectives.
• Develop new business in the transportation operations area in the Federal and state/local markets and maintain existing client engagement.
• Direct proposals for the operations program, including team management, writing, content review, developing work breakdown structures and budget.
• Requires a master’s degree with a minimum of 10+ years of prior relevant experience.
• Education in transportation operations, transportation systems, advanced transportation technology, or similar is highly desired.
• Background should include increasing levels of technical leadership of significant work on transportation activities.
• Background with ensuring organizational preparedness to deal with non-recurring events and associated disruptions to transportation operations.
• In-depth work history with at least one of the following areas and familiarity with all the areas: work zones, traffic incidents, planned special events, and adverse weather.
• Background demonstrating a thorough understanding of data, connected and automated vehicles, and transportation safety in relation to preparing and dealing with nonrecurring events.
• Demonstrated understanding of the tradeoffs and considerations in safety and mobility related to managing disruptions on highways.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong logical and quantitative skills
• Fluency with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; Microsoft Access is a plus.
• Demonstrated project management background preferably for Federal government projects.
• Detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Work history in a consulting environment.
• Detailed knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration’s Operations Program.
• Prior involvement working with state or local DOTs on implementing real world programs/training for managing disruptions to operations
• Ability to conduct statistical studies and design program evaluations.
• Field/management background in managing highway disruptions, mitigating traffic impacts from disruptions, and achieving operational resiliency.
Pay Range:Pay Range $105,300.00 - $162,000.00 - $218,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.