At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable practices. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Employees enjoy career enrichment opportunities available through mobility and development and experience rewarding relationships with supportive supervisors and talented colleagues and customers. Your most important work is ahead.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The CND Detection Lead will serve as the principle technical advisor and subject matter expert for CND Threat Detection services and will be the manager of CND detection staff supporting 24/7 operations. They will be an expert for enterprise incident detection. The CND Detection Lead will be a multi-functional individual with strong leadership and technical skills including but not limited to the following core detection concepts and capabilities; instrumenting security event IT infrastructure and application telemetry to detect threat patterns and/or indicators of attack; optimize data/event collection protocols, processing and monitoring workflows; utilize technical security tools to detect and monitor existing or newly deployed vulnerability systems; coordinate and orchestrate proactive and predictive threat hunting operations.
Work hours are flexible though need to be within the customer’s core business hours of 0600-1800. On-call support/hours may be required.
- Lead a team of cyber professionals responsible for 24x7x365 monitoring of all CND detection on all customer security domains.
- Serve as the technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) in leading a team of staff in the design, implementation, integration, and operational support of cyber security layers delivering detection capabilities. Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all functions IAW DoD directives and perform regular reviews and exercises to validate.
- Provide detailed analysis of detection device data and provide tuning guidance to maximize tool effectiveness.
- Develop scripts, processes, and procedures that enable effective parsing of log data and provide automated detection methods.
- Provide daily summary reports of detected cyber incident activity and significant threat actor activity.
- Provide weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual metrics and reports of Detect activities.
- Notify chain of command and prepare briefing slides and documentation in accordance with SOPs and directives.
- Provide monitoring, metrics, and support for all deployed systems and services
- Collaborate across all major SOC, Vulnerability Assessment, Audit/Compliance, Countermeasure, Fusion, and Incident Response functions
- Collaborate with the cyber security architecture and engineering teams to optimize security telemetry to enable high fidelity detection capabilities
- Provide support and advisement on tuning security logging infrastructure to optimize detection capabilities and support SOC alerting and triage response functions
- Monitor external data sources (e.g., CND vendor sites, Computer Emergency Response Teams, SANS, Security Focus) to maintain currency of CND threat condition and determine which security issues may have an impact on customer networks.
- Assist in the construction of signatures and analytics which can be implemented on CND network tools in response to new or observed threats.
- Significant knowledge of particular CND tools, tactics, techniques, and procedures which support their analysis of event information.
- Previous experience leading and managing a team responsible for enterprise CND monitoring and incident response.
- Knowledge and experience instrumenting, configuring, and integrating security event meta-data with SIEM platforms
- Knowledge and application of transforming adversarial Tactics, Techniques and Protocols (TTPs) into proactive detection events
- Established technical knowledge of the utilization, configuration, and implementation of industry standard cyber defense capabilities including but not limited to web content filters, email security capabilities, IDS, IPS, HBSS, SIEM, DNS security practices, advanced log analysis, network monitoring, network flow analysis, packet capture analysis, network proxies, firewalls, anti-virus capabilities, Linux/UNIX command line, and access control lists.
- Demonstrated understanding of the life cycle of network threats, attacks, attack vectors and methods of exploitation with an understanding of intrusion set tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)
- Technical experience with security event formats and inter-platform API integration
- Comprehensive understanding of the incident response processes and procedures to aid in the facilitation of procedures for collaboration and incident escalation from other functional teams.
- Experience managing in a 24/7/365 environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate and work effectively with other contractors and Government civilians.
- Highly organized with strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member under tight deadlines with changing priorities.
- Ability to mentor and lead a technical team to include functional management of direct reports
- TS/SCI w/Polygraph required.
- US Citizenship is required due to the nature of the government contracts we support.
- GIAC Continuous Monitoring (GMON) or equivalent (CySA+, CCNA – Cyber Operations, CCIH)
- DoD 8570 IAT Level III equivalent certification (with continuing education where applicable) (CASP, CCNP Security, CISA, CISSP, GCED, GCIH)
- DoD 8570 CND-Analyst/CSSP Analyst equivalent certification (CEH, CFR, CSA+, GCIA, GCIH, GICSP, SCYBER)
- Splunk Core Certified User
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or related field and at least 12 years of relevant experience.
- In depth technical knowledge of security event meta-data structure, value and meaning when integrating detection functions into a SOC and SIEM
- Extensive experience with both Splunk and ArcSight SIEM platforms.
- Experience designing, implementing, and managing security event logging architectures and telemetry meta-data collection and analysis
- Experience designing, implementing detection patterns and indicators of compromise aligned to TTPs and MITRE ATT&CK framework
Advanced Splunk Certifications (Splunk Core Certified Power User, Splunk Enterprise Security Certified Admin, Splunk Certified Developer)
Pay Range:Pay Range $118,300.00 - $182,000.00 - $245,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.