The Toponymist (Geospatial Linguist) shall analyze and conflate information associated with feature data listed in the Geographic Names Database (GNDB) while working closely with Intelligence Community (IC) geographic names experts. Selected candidate will use agency guidance and policies to respond to questions concerning the proper and correct usage of names, various Romanization systems, and the treatment of descriptive information on standard products. These services will use the Geographic Names Processing Systems (GNPS), charts, imagery and geospatial tools to refine names information for use in all types of products and to respond to use question via the Ad Hoc Query process. In addition, the candidate will prepare files and maps for work, accurately entering data to maintain and update the GNDB, including batching the completed work into the GNDB. The accuracy and reliability of the selected candidate’s work is essential to the missions of these users.
- Selected candidate will scan and geo-reference hardcopy maps, research, and order geospatial data sources and commercial imagery to use as reference sources
- Georeferenced maps and imagery must be conflated with the GNDB Selected candidate will interpret and apply national and international policies governing the treatment of and general guidelines emanating from the US Board on Geographic Names (US BGN), the Department of State (DoS), the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), and other related organizations
- Requires a BA degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Qualified candidates will possess an ILR Skill Level Two certification for reading (DLPT5 2/2) in the language and have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience
- Qualified candidates should also have experience using ArcGIS or GeoMedia Pro; creating shapefiles, geo-databases; utilizing native maps, secondary source maps, and historic maps for extraction and comparison; mapping imagery for stereo and mono extraction at various resolutions; and, expertise in research and information gathering
- Active TS/SCI and willingness to obtain a POLY level clearance is REQUIRED to be considered.
- Specific experience processing geographic names following agency policies and procedures is highly desired
- Ideal candidate must be a self-starter and capable of working independently with minimal supervision and guidance
- Candidate must be able to multitask and deliver quality products within specified timelines
- Candidate should work well as part of a team effort
"External Referral Eligible"
Pay Range:Pay Range $54,600.00 - $84,000.00 - $113,400.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.