Our Directed Energy team in Albuquerque is looking for a Fiber Laser Engineer who will work closely with research personnel to plan and implement experimental setups, hardware and prototype designs. The candidate will be involved with development and testing of novel fiber laser systems, including high power CW fiber amplifiers and pulsed fiber laser sources, and will work with electrical, optical, and cooling systems. Duties include fiber splicing, electrical integration, cooling system planning and assembly, benchtop optical test setup, amplifier operation, amplifier layout and pump laser configuration and implementation.
- Splicing fiber laser components, including PM and non-PM 125, 240, 400 µm, and larger fibers.
- Splice program development and optimization for novel fiber designs which may include step index, microstructure, and hollow core fibers.
- Laser and amplifier performance characterization including measuring M2, spectral linewidth, amplifier spectrum output, SBS characteristics, MI characteristics, Optical to Optical efficiency, SRS, PER, amplifier transient behavior, and amplifier thermal loading.
- Laser system assembly including interlock setup, cooling assembly and test, electrical configuration and assembly.
- Design and assembly of benchtop optical layouts for testing fiber amplifier performance, beam combination testing, and other required setups as may be defined.
- Provide regular status reports.
- BS in Optics, Photonics, Electrical Engineering, or related field and 0 - 2 years related experience
- Must be a US Citizen as this opportunity requires the ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance
- Understanding of underlying fiber amplifier optical processes, and limitations
- Possess basic optical and electrical engineering skills, with the willingness to learn and develop new skills
- Ability to learn to splice optical fibers
- Ability and willingness to adhere to government safety requirements
- Ability to effectively communicate with engineers and other employees
- Ability to organize and effectively work on multiple projects at the same time
- 2+ years experience with high energy lasers
- Understanding of fiber amplifiers from low power preamplifier levels (10’s of watts) to high power amplifier levels (kWs)
- Experience with single mode output fiber lasers
- Current DoD secret clearance
Pay Range:Pay Range $53,300.00 - $82,000.00 - $110,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.