Distribution Planning and Analysis Engineer
Leidos offers its knowledge and expertise over a wide area of cutting-edge energy technologies and independent oversight, combined with proven business acumen. Building our work for publicly and privately-owned utilities, financial institutions, and local governments, we are able to provide our clients with business insight into all sectors of the infrastructure industry.
Leidos Engineering is seeking a Distribution Planning and Analysis Engineer to join our distribution planning team for our Detroit, MI area. The position may be suitable for an experienced distribution engineer transitioning to distribution planning activities. The growth potential of this position is significant for the right candidate.
This position could be remote for candidates that are located in or around the Detroit, MI area, due to the required field work for this position.
Distribution Planning and Analysis Engineer
- This role will involve the execution of studies in distribution planning, distributed energy resource (DER) interconnection impact, arc flash and coordination
- Perform studies that are conducted for investor-owned utilities, municipal utilities, and electric system cooperatives
- Solid distribution analysis and distribution design experience
- Experience performing Python scripting, and arc flash assessments will be considered
- The position will involve client facing work and include occasional business development activities including field work.
What you will bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering is required with a minimum of two (2) + years of relevant Distribution Planning and Analysis experience either with an electric utility or with an electric utility consulting company
- Must have experience functioning in a technical role in distribution studies and QAQC of client deliverables
- Ability to commute into the Detroit, MI area periodically is required, as we have upcoming work in that area
- Experience with distribution design is required (overhead and underground system projects such as reconductoring, voltage conversion, distribution automation, asset replacement and new business)
- Must possess strong written, interpersonal and presentation communication skills
- Must be a team player and provide leadership to other team members
- Must be able to work collaboratively with many different people with diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience with engineering analysis software such as WindMil, Cyme, Synergi, ETAP, SKM, or similar is a plus
- Familiarity with Python scripting to develop automation within power system analysis tools is a plus.
- Experience with microgrid analysis and design tools such as DER-CAM, HOMER, DIG-SILENT, MATLAB and PSCAD is a plus
- Experience with developing GIS based construction work packages and GIS data improvement initiatives is a plus
- Professional Engineer (PE) license is highly preferred
Leidos Engineering is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Pay Range:Pay Range $63,050.00 - $97,000.00 - $130,950.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.