Are you the energetic person to be a Policy and Correspondence Specialist with Leidos? This important position supports the Office of Defense Programs (DP) within the Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA). It provides direct support for managing, editing, and distributing all executive correspondence including congressional reports, inquiries, letters/memorandum, and other related strategic communications. This position puts you in the center of all DP activity.
This is a full-time position. The position is located in the NNSA offices at the Department of Energy Forrestal Building in Washington, D.C. with some telework allowed as approved by the customer.
Required Clearance: You must possess an active DOE Q or DoD Top Secret clearance to be considered.
- Assist DAAG and staff from the NNSA Executive Secretariat and DOE Executive Secretariat offices for correspondence reviews, concurrence, and signatures on policy and position papers, joint NNSA/DOE and Department of Defense (DOD) reports, and other decision documents awaiting executive review/action by the DADP, NNSA Administrator, or Secretary of Energy.
- Assist program offices and subject matter experts to review, edit, and develop materials supporting the Administrator, DADP, Assistance Deputy Administrators, and senior support staff to ensure alignment with current policy.
- Assist the Deputy Administrator’s Action Group (DAAG) in responding to actions, implementing communication and organizational processes, and preparing and reviewing documents, presentations, talking points, and speeches for the Deputy Administrator of Defense Programs (DADP).
- Assist DAAG in developing clear, concise, and polished written products for review by key leaders in DP and across DOE/NNSA, as well as improving standard operating procedures for the drafting and review of written communications.
- Monitor and review all incoming DP correspondence; make an initial determination of the scope of the subject matter and office of primary responsibility; make office task assignments, track progress, and provide guidance on content and format. Assist in researching, identifying, and analyzing geo-political, technical, and economic issues that must be addressed in responding to incoming assignments and correspondence.
- Provide initial review of replies drafted by various components of DP, analyze written products for clarity, make sure the conclusions reached are consistent with the facts presented, and recommend revisions, changes in coverage, or reorganization of manuscripts. Analyze the content of all correspondence for compliance with applicable directives, procedures, and policies; recommend changes if needed. Assist in the preparation of correspondence for review/signature by NNSA senior leadership.
- Work with the DAAG and DOE and NNSA Executive Secretariats to manage and track the status of DP communications, monitoring the intra- and interagency coordination that accompanies all substantive written products.
- Work with the Nuclear Weapons Council (NWC) support team in the proper administration of all generated/related documents.
- Manage control of classified documents produced by the Office of Defense Programs. Assist with classified material, property management, classified removable electronic media management, use control site coordination, accountability for Sigma 14 and 15 access, and vault custodian.
- Active DOE Q or a DoD TS that has been investigated within the last five years
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related work experience or a high school diploma or equivalent plus at least 6 years of directly related work experience
- Experience supporting federal government security programs (e.g., DHS, DOE, DOD)
- Excellent copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Self-starter attitude and ability to follow correspondence rules and requirements
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to track and prioritize multiple tasks
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Master’s degree with less than 2 years of related work experience
- Experience supporting DOE or NNSA programs
- Experience interacting with senior-level government officials and stakeholders
- Experience coordinating with senior-level program managers
- Experience in or interacting with an Executive Secretariat
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced environment with high visibility
Pay Range:Pay Range $54,600.00 - $84,000.00 - $113,400.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.