Leidos is seeking Field Engineering Technicians to provide field inspections of utility poles throughout the North West region on New York (Buffalo, and the Greater Erie County Region - Rochester, Syracuse will be considered).
Field Engineering Tech Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will travel around the area around Buffalo and the Greater Erie County region, to collect data, field measurements, and photos of utility poles. These poles have maintenance concerns identified by our client in which our field engineers will document these concerns and collect the necessary data for Leidos designers to design their solutions and fixes. Technicians are expected to meet the goals / expectations set on a weekly basis by their boss and communicate their status / progress effectively.
- Significant walking is required; 95% of this position requires field related work. Candidate will be required to be outside year-round and every week as weather and personal safety permit and could be subject to inspection of poles in the following areas; urban, rural, backyard pole lines, private properties, and Transmission and Distribution Right of Ways.
- Work locations assigned vary monthly and could be as far east as Syracuse and as far west as Buffalo. If the work locations are long distances from the candidate’s home, hotels can be provided (including per diem supplements for meals generally between $50-$70 dependent on work location).
- Candidate can either drive their own personal vehicle with a mileage reimbursement ($0.625/mi) or each week they can get a rental truck/SUV paid for by Leidos
- Candidate will receive 16 to 24 hours of training with an experienced field engineer prior to working alone. Hours are flexible based on need dates of inspections. Candidate will be responsible for following Leidos safety procedures and reporting progress daily.
Additional benefits that Field Engineering Technicians can look forward to:
- Flexible Work Hours. Many Technicians opt to work 4-10 hour days and take Friday off each week
- Per-Diem supplements between $50-$70 for meals while staying overnight in hotels
Field Engineering Tech qualifications:
- High School diploma minimum requirement
- Preferred candidate would possess experience within the power distribution field and/or an AS/BS in engineering (or related STEM Field)
- The ideal candidate has prior experience doing field work and distribution component identification.
- Candidates must be able to work in both team and independent environments and to organize work to meet deadlines
- Must be local to the area.
- Knowledge of NESC Standards and Client Standards is helpful.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Willingness to perform both field and office work.
- Ability to work long days in outdoor environments
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to utilize cell phone and 8MP camera
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth.
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
- Financial management
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients.
In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Pay Range:Pay Range $31,200.00 - $48,000.00 - $64,800.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.