Seeking a Data Analyst and Data Scientist/Signal Processing Engineer to work as part of a small development team in a fast-paced, research, development, testing and evaluation environment at the Naval Information Warfare Center located in San Diego, CA.
The data analyst role involves extracting and analyzing engineering test data, interpreting results, and delivering information through presentations and reports. The analyst will develop and maintain analysis and reporting tools; and contribute to all aspects of the test lifecycle from planning to reporting.
The analyst will gain a high-level of knowledge on the autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) being utilized to collect data. This enables assessment of proper vehicle operation based on engineering data. Additionally, the analyst will gain expertise on each of the sensors integrated onto the vehicles to enable assessment of collected data.
Following test events, the analyst will:
- Conduct in-depth analysis of both vehicle and sensor performance.
- Track vehicle and sensor health and performance, identify issues and trends, and speculate on potential causes and mitigation strategies.
- Develop methods to analyze and report findings in an efficient manner, preferably automated, to enable development engineers to correct issues prior to the next test iteration.
- Convert large, analyzed data sets into reports using document automation techniques.
A secondary role for this position is data management where the applicant will be asked to:
- Develop an inventory management system for hardware to include autonomous systems and components, sensors and components, and spare & repair parts.
- Develop and maintain a configuration management system to enable tracking autonomous system and sensor configurations to include statistics (e.g. component failure, etc.), maintenance schedule and completion, software versions installed, etc.
- Develop and maintain a document management system with appropriate controls to enable document collaboration as necessary, but with proper version control.
- Build inventory/content management systems that utilize “flows” for data lists and/or libraries.
In addition to primary duties, this individual will be encouraged to develop expertise on the functionality and operations of one or more AUV platforms and may be asked to operate the system at-sea during test and evaluation.
Master of Science or PhD (preferred) in applied physics, mathematics, computer science, physical sciences, or engineering.
Experience / Skills
A competitive candidate will possess a working knowledge of most of the following fundamental capabilities, and familiarity with the remaining. The candidate must be willing to participate in on-the-job training to gain expert proficiency.
- Knowledge of statistics and probability principles, measurements, and methods
- Capability to develop solutions to complex technical issues and problems that impact multiple area or disciplines.
- Regularly employs ingenuity and creativity to develop new technical solutions and systems in order to achieve functional objectives.
- Experience writing and optimizing code in MATLAB, Python, Perl, C/C++, and/or similar statistical programming language
- Ability to organize and manipulate large, disparate datasets
- Proficiency in data analysis and signal processing techniques
- Proficiency in database management and configuration management
- Experience with SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft One Drive and/or Naval Research & Development Establishment (NRDE)/Amazon Web Services (AWS) used for data storage, manipulation, and sharing
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- High Performance Computing
- Algorithmic Optimization and Profiling
- Experience with machine learning algorithm development preferred
Applicant shall have experience working in teams to develop solutions, deliver products, and test and evaluate performance. Applicant shall have experience and skill analyzing experiment data to determine results as feedback into the development cycle. Applicant shall have strong technical writing skills to provide input to technical reports and briefing material.
An ideal candidate would have experience with autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) operations, including experience analyzing data collected by these systems. Experience with at-sea test and evaluation (T&E) to include operations onboard small craft and large ships at sea is desired. A willingness to conduct such testing is required.
This position requires U.S. citizenship. Existing security clearance is highly desired. Willingness to acquire SECRET (and higher) clearance is required. Offer is contingent on obtaining an interim SECRET clearance.
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 47,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.